PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about inserts

GodChick
05-31-2005, 08:43 AM
ok, so if i'm getting fb's whats do i stuff 'em with? i've been reading and researching, but it don't know anything about fabrics, so the descriptions are pretry meaningless to me. micro-fiber? hemp? fleece? wha???? newbie is confused! :giggle i've got a bunch of flat gerber diapers that i use for burp cloths--do those work better or worse than those others listed above? i'm mostly conserned w/ keeping baby dry more so than worried about quick-dry when washing--i'm trying to prevent labial adhesions and babe needs to stay dry. thank you for sharing your wisdom, ladies--i'm learning a lot. :kiss

Moon
05-31-2005, 10:06 AM
The Gerber flats would work in a pinch but I'd definitely look for something more beefy. If you can sew with a simple zigzag stitch, or know someone with a serger who'd show you how to run a simple rectangle through it, you can get a yard of hemp fleece (think sweatshirt type fleece) from www.thefabricfarm.com for the same price as two serged hemp stuffers. I prefer quick dry along with the absorbancy, my favorite stuffers are 2ply hemp fleece rectangles that get folded in half or trifolded before being stuffed in.

Microfiber is a synthetic material that sucks up lotsa moisture, for some kids it can suck up too much and dry their skin out. Microfleece is the inner layer of the Fuzzibunz that will be against your babe's skin. Hemp fleece is like sweatshirt fleece, smooth on one side and soft n fuzzy on the other.

Havilah
05-31-2005, 10:23 AM
TBH, if you are really concerned about her being dry then I'm assuming you change her at the first sign of wetness. If that's the case then I think the flats will be fine. They won't hold gallons, but you don't want her sitting in pee long enough to fill a beefier diaper anyway :shrug I change James every 2-3 hours (not at the first sign of wetness), and flats work really well for us. The price is right, too :tu

I say, since you already have them you should try them. If you don't like them you can always buy something else.

DogwoodMama
05-31-2005, 10:44 AM
I agree with Havilah. Try what you have and change often.

I would recommend buying some Microfiber towels at Wal-mart or similar (usually in the auto department) b/c they are quite absorbant and cheap and really "wick" moisture away... the are "synthetic" though, not sure how that would work for you (they have been known to be a skin irritant if actually "touching" baby's skin, but they wouldn't be touching in a pocket so I *think* they would be OK). That is another inexpensive way to go.

BeckaBlue
05-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I use gerber prefolds frequently in my pockets. they absorb qiocker than hemp imo and w/ my 3yo who holds her pee then goes a lot needs it! I also usually put a hemp in too to hold all the pee since it's more absorbant. Im gonna get some microfiber towels once i get the chance too