PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2005, 09:45 PM
we have a chance to get a used front loading Maytag and I'm not sure if it's better to have a front loader or a top loader. Opinions? :shrug

tree_hugger
05-31-2005, 01:41 AM
I have an LG Frontloader and I love it! I feel it does a much better wash than any toploader I've had. :-)

2sunshines
05-31-2005, 05:02 AM
I haven't researched the topic but I do know this. Every person in my life who has gone ahead with the front loader has lived to regret it. :shrug

Personally, I plan on sticking with a top loader as long as I can. I've been told that eventually only front loaders will be available so I'm sure that I will be forced to make that change in time, but I'm in no hurry to do so...

Havilah
05-31-2005, 05:10 AM
my impression is they are fine for clothes, but awful for diapers. they don't cycle enough water to get diapers totally clean and stink issues are common. i don't plan to upgrade until i'm done with dipes.

DogwoodMama
05-31-2005, 08:47 AM
I agree... I have heard many moms say their dipes get stinky with front-loaders... I would chose the top-loader. :tu

Mothering by Heart
05-31-2005, 08:54 AM
I don't have dipes to wash, but I love my front loader. Our water bill went down 10-15 dollars after we got it :tu

PurpleButterfly
05-31-2005, 08:55 AM
We have a Whirlpool Duet top loader and love it! But, I've also heard others mention difficulty cleaning cloth dipers in a front-loader. :/ Most importantly, be extra cautious if it happens to be a Maytag Neptune. There was a HUGE class action lawsuit due to mold issues with that particular washer. I know the recent ones have supposedly been manufactured more carefully, but personally I wouldn't take a chance. :neutral

musicmama
05-31-2005, 09:04 AM
We have a Whirlpool Duet top loader and love it! But, I've also heard others mention difficulty cleaning cloth dipers in a front-loader. :/ Most importantly, be extra cautious if it happens to be a Maytag Neptune. There was a HUGE class action lawsuit due to mold issues with that particular washer. I know the recent ones have supposedly been manufactured more carefully, but personally I wouldn't take a chance. :neutral

Oh no, I have washing machine envy!!! Kym, I'm SO jealous!!

We have a Kenmore front loader and we LOVE it. love love love it!

Soliloquy
05-31-2005, 09:21 AM
my impression is they are fine for clothes, but awful for diapers. they don't cycle enough water to get diapers totally clean and stink issues are common. i don't plan to upgrade until i'm done with dipes.

that's what I've heard, too! Everyone I know that has a front-loader LOVES it, unless they CD, then they hate it!!! So, we're waiting until we're done w/ dipes to get one, unless we can have two washers :think.

When I was in Europe, that's all anyone had. Our clothes got soooo clean! Even old stains came out. It was amazing.

Mamaka
05-31-2005, 09:42 AM
We have a front-loader and like it, but don't have cd's to worry about so can't say how it would work on those. It's a frigidaire and takes a HUGE load, cleans well, uses less water.

When I was in Europe, that's all anyone had. Our clothes got soooo clean! Even old stains came out. It was amazing.

We had a front-loader in Europe too, that if I could have brought home on the plane w/me I would have. Talk about clean laundry ecstasy!

PurpleButterfly
05-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Oops - meant to say we have a Whirlpool Duet FRONT loader, not a top loader. I don't know if they even make top loaders? :/ :lol

heartofjoy
05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
I have a 2004 Maytag Neptune energy efficient toploader. It is sort of like a front loader in that it doesn't use much water and it spins out the water really fast. The salesguy basically said that the Neptune front and top loaders washed equally well using the same technique of using small amounts of water and not letting the clothes sit in dirty water. I chose the top loader so I could dump my diapers in easier. I do use cloth. :) They do smell more during the wash cycle because the machine isn't totally filled with water, diluting the urine and the smell. But after one long wash cycle with a double rinse, they smell fine. I don't think the front loader would be any different.

HTH

canadiyank
05-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Go for it, Crystal. I got a FL last year and love it...and I do dipes, too. ;) You may have to run an extra load to get the dipes really clean, but I can talk you through that...even w/ an extra cycle you will be saving on water overall since you're washing for 7! You will be especially grateful for the huge capacity...

TulipMama
05-31-2005, 02:03 PM

*L* My experience was totally different! Even though we had German-made washers, I didn't like them. They were so small and were *really* hard on our clothes. (Even though I've heard that front loaders are better on clothes because they don't have that middle paddle-thingy.) It seemed like it was hard for the clothes to get really, really clean.

I'm really happy with my top loading HUGE washing machine here.