PDA

View Full Version : so who uses flats?

bostonsmama
05-29-2005, 09:10 PM
anyone? do you like them, love them, or could do without them?

im really wanting to get some for boston, just for home usage. i am thinking they will be easy to dye on my own since theyre so thin? what do you think? also---if you use them, where do you buy them? :)

nutmeggmama
05-29-2005, 11:55 PM
i have gerber flats. I havent used them since they are in storage and currently on a barge floating up here as we speak. They were last resort dipes, but I liked having them because I could get them at babies r us when that was all we had (gift cards) money wise in school. they work better than prefold gerbers.
I know you can get better, more absorbant ones. I think the best thing about them is that they can get way cleaner, imo.

bostonsmama
05-30-2005, 09:33 AM
any ideas on where i can get more absorbant ones? besides they tiedyedreams site?

Havilah
05-30-2005, 09:38 AM
I use gerber flats to stuff my fuzzi bunz (for daytime) and I really like them. They do get fabulously clean, and I can hang them to dry with the FB's. They dry about as fast as a FB! Also, I like that I can fold them so most of the absorbancy is in the front of the diaper. James can look pretty darn trim with 12 layers in the front and 4 layers in the back :D

Wholly Mama
05-30-2005, 06:13 PM
I love my flats. I use two and fold them up like a prefold. Super absorbant and not very bulky at all!! They are my diaper of choice. I got mine at www.greenmountaindiapers.com. They also sell the birds-eye fabric at www.onestopdiapershop.com. If you know how to sew a straight line, you could make your own!! All it is is a hemmed square!

I'm sure you'd be able to dye them.
I love that they dry so fast since we hang-dry.

anniegirl
05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I like this site a lot, though I've never actually ordered from her, just drooled at her stuff. http://www.diaperware.com/prefolds.html

I like flats too, I use them off and on. They're very versatile. You can use them to stuff pocket dipes or just use two together like a prefold. The best part is they clean up great and you don't have to worry about detergent build up like you do with other dipes.

Moon
05-30-2005, 09:52 PM
I think the ones we have are old Curity brand, they were given to us. They were folded and pinned on my almost 5yo dd, for my 17mo they've only been folded and jammed into a pocket.

I was pricing hemp flats for pocket stuffers awhile back and just decided to buy a couple years of hemp fleece from www.thefabricfarm.com (http://www.thefabricfarm.com). I love the extra absorbancy of hemp, but want the quick dry aspect too (not gonna happen with the premade 4-6 layer stuffers).

OnlyBelieve
05-31-2005, 05:48 AM
Flats are fabulous!!! The only thing for me is that those that you can buy are a bit small (I do orgami fold) so when your baby reaches about 20 pounds, they no longer fit. I bought some at www.diaperware.com and they were great (Inge is great to do business with too!!)