PDA

View Full Version : Annnd "10 ways to save on food bills"

AKCristyMJ
05-29-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Ways to Save on Food Bills
by Holly Clegg, author of Meals on the Move

Keep your kitchen bills to a minimum with these simple ideas.

Five Great Grocery Store Savers

1. Look out for bargains. When shopping at the grocery store, keep your eyes open for specials and bargains. Buy extra of whatever is on sale. Canned goods are especially good to stock up on because they have a long shelf life. Cereals, dried fruits, pasta, rice and dried beans can also be great buys.

2. Freeze it! Buy ground meat chicken breasts and other frequently used meats in bulk and separate into individual portions. Wrap well and freeze for quick dinners.

You can read the rest here:
http://home.ivillage.com/homekeeping/homefinance/0,,b3wm,00.html

Yeah....that was all self exsplainatory tho eh?? Most of us moms know these tricks.

milkmommy
05-29-2005, 03:28 PM
I like and we practice all but number 1..1. Look out for bargains. When shopping at the grocery store, keep your eyes open for specials and bargains. Buy extra of whatever is on sale. Canned goods are especially good to stock up on because they have a long shelf life. Cereals, dried fruits, pasta, rice and dried beans can also be great buys.
We actually found this was the WORST thing for us to do. We because of how our paychecks are and space to store food we buy a weeks worth of food at a time and have a small list of "always on hand" items that are replaced as they get low, after a wahile we realized we were wasting tons of cash on "not needed at the time" sales items. I cut our monthly budget by around $100 once we stopped buying extra sale stuff. The exception are things like BOGO free sales.

Deanna

Punkie
05-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Could you edit this so that it follows the copyright guidelines for the boards, please?

Policy for Posting Copyrighted Materials to the Board

Please do not post copyrighted material--this includes articles, poems, etc--to the board unless one or more of the following is true (and if any of these are the case, please note so along with the material you are posting):

1) you own the copyright
2) it clearly states that it is public domain
3) it says it may be freely copied
4) you have permission from the copyright holder to post it to the board. If you have received permission to print/reproduce it, please include that in your post.

If one of the above is not true, you may post an excerpt from the material. Please follow these guidelines:

1) Your excerpt should be approximately 100 words or less (please post a shorter excerpt if it is a poem or short article) .
2) When posting excerpts from materials online, please include a link to where it can be read online.

TheSweetLife
05-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Those are really great tips, thanks :-)

joystrength
05-29-2005, 07:50 PM
good ideas, especially the stocking up, if you have room and money!

bliss
05-31-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry, are there people who DON'T do these things? I guess I just grew up po' and ig'nant but I assumed we all knew this? I guess dh should be grateful for such a thrifty woman!

milkmommy
05-31-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry, are there people who DON'T do these things? I guess I just grew up po' and ig'nant but I assumed we all knew this? I guess dh should be grateful for such a thrifty woman!

Yea I agree and I would like to say I see the good of #1 it just doesn't work for our small fixed weekly income KWIM?

Deanna

mylittlemen
06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I think you really have to get ahead before you can do that stocking thing. My MIL is the thrifty-est woman alive, but she has the most amazing pantry. She doesn't buy anything that isn't on sale. You do save money because you do use all that stuff in time. But it's hard to get started. They are pretty comfortable, so they can do that.

Sara
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Bliss, While this particular list is not anything new to me today, these are not things that I would have known 5 years ago. More and more people are growing up without basic homemaking knowledge such as this. We are a throwaway nation living in a time of unprecedented affluence in comparison both to how people lived in the past and how most people around the world are living today. When I was growing up, importance was always placed on school, grades, and activities. As long as we were doing those things, we were basically exempt from all things related to the house. I always assumed that I would grow up and have the same level (or better) of living as my parens. We never had to think about being thrifty or saving money. When I became a SAHM instead of going to law school, that all changed and I admittedly had lots to learn. So I'm glad that not all people assume that "everyone" knows these things, because some people don't. :)