PDA

View Full Version : Growing Sprouts?

Julia R
05-29-2005, 01:06 AM
When I was a little girl, my dad grew sprouts in the fridge. I hated them then, but am finding that I really like them now. Do any of you know how to grow sprouts in a jar in the fridge?

godsgracegiven
05-30-2005, 12:30 AM
My mom has done it, I will ask her and she what she says.

Irene
05-30-2005, 09:18 AM
ooh Im interested too!

ShangriLewis
06-03-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.sproutpeople.com/devices/ez/easysprout.html

This is the one I use. I love their seed mixes..yummy! I keep it on the sink at all times. When they are done I put them in the fridge and we start over. It's super easy and an econimical way to get some healthy greens. Gibran (8) loves sprouts and I'm sure I will have to get a few more as he gets older. He won't eat anything green for weeks and then he will just show on a whole bowl of sprouts. We like them in sandwhiches, on salads and in nori rolls. You can use them in the middle of nori rolls or instead of rice. I've been eating lots of raw foods lately and when this batch is done I'm going to add them to a smoothie. (Wish me luck I have tried lettuce and that was a little odd.)

Heather

Julia R
06-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Do you have to use seeds? I don't remember my dad doing that. I guess I figured they just regenerated themselves in the jar. Not how it works?

ShangriLewis
06-05-2005, 11:32 PM
They are seeds. Otherwise you would just get plants. You want to sprouts seeds so you get that first burst of vitamins and minerals!

Kaz
06-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Yay! I've just bought sprouts to start growing too.

Does anyone know though, if you should cook them first. One book I have says eat 'em raw and another says definitely cook them first because of their toxins...?

ShangriLewis
06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
If you cook them you would loose all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes. Don't cook them! Maybe they were talking about something else. I have never heard that before. Plus, that just sounds yucky..blech.

Heather

Kaz
06-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Here's where I found it say about cooking sprouts:

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA202343/

:shrug

ShangriLewis
06-09-2005, 08:40 AM
How strange..I usually like Dr. Weil. I'm not afraid of my sprouts being contaminated at all. I don't buy sprouts from the store because of contamination, though. But, I would never cook them. That still seems silly. The bean sprouts he is referring to are those nasty slimy worm looking things that many people put in stir fry.

Heather

Kaz
06-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I notice Dr Weil is also big on cooking certain other foods to reduce toxicity too;

Avoid eating raw peas, beans, alfalfa sprouts, lentil sprouts, mung bean sprouts and mushrooms

but other people say raw is always best. I wonder where he got his info. :shrug The jury is out for me on this one :think

ShangriLewis
06-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I guess you can't be perfect all the time. I eat all of those raw.

I was just signing in to post pics of my latest batch.