PDA

View Full Version : Killing mold in the shower w/o bleach?

Soliloquy
05-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I've eliminated all bleach from our home, except . . . I keep one Clorox bleach pen to kill the mold that shows up from time to time in the shower. Is there anything else that kills mold (mildew and that reddish/orange mold) in the shower? I'd love to use anything else that works.

Mothering by Heart
05-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Here (http://www.moldacrossamerica.org/notobleach.htm) is an interesting website about chlorine bleach and mold. Down towards the bottom is a link to what can be used. :shrug

Soliloquy
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM
That website had good reasons not to use chlorine, but the only recommendation it had that I could find was

THE MOST EFFECTIVE METHOD TO GET RID OF VISIBLE MOLD IS BY REMOVING THE AFFECTED AREA.

Since I can't remove the tile in our apt, I was hoping for something else to use. Thanks for the link. It's encouraged me to keep looking.

Mothering by Heart
05-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Down towards the bottom it says, "If not bleach what can I use?" It suggest boric acid, borax, that kind of thing.

http://www.moldacrossamerica.org/borates.htm

Soliloquy
05-29-2005, 01:25 PM
:doh Thanks! :tu That's what I get for skimming!

Mothering by Heart
05-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for asking this question. All of our showers, as well as all of our countetops are tiled and while I don't, as a rule, use bleach, I just bought bleach pens. That was a run-on sentence! Anyway, I am going to look into that more, myself. I hate bleach :/

jujubnme
05-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I got the impression that the site you linked to was talking more about not using bleach on mold found on walls and wood (from structural or humidity problems) than tub & tile, which are made to handle wetness. :shrug Even so, here's a link to some natural solutions you might want to try that use either tea tree oil, grapeseed oil or vinegar as the fungicide. http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/110

Mothering by Heart
05-29-2005, 02:04 PM
After looking again, I think you're right Andrea :grin

Thanks for the link :tu

musicmama
05-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I am absolutely in LOVE with my Tub and Tile cleaner from Melaleuca. My friend turned me on to all their products and they are AMAZING. Seriously. Never buying products from a store again. I'm sure a GCM sells them somewhere around here!! I wiped out my NASTY shower with just a wet rag after spraying it on!

Soliloquy
05-31-2005, 09:24 AM
really? and there's no bleach in it! Cool! I'll start looking for someone selling it!!!!

Mamaka
05-31-2005, 09:35 AM
I am absolutely in LOVE with my Tub and Tile cleaner from Melaleuca. My friend turned me on to all their products and they are AMAZING. Seriously. Never buying products from a store again. I'm sure a GCM sells them somewhere around here!! I wiped out my NASTY shower with just a wet rag after spraying it on!

ITA. We used to do Melaleuca too and their tub n tile cleaner is pretty good. :tu on their laundry stuff too