PDA

View Full Version : Tech Q--Sending a fax from a computer?

TulipMama
05-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I assume it's possible. . .

Can anyone tell me how to send a word document from my computer to someone's fax machine?

Thanks!

cannuke
05-28-2005, 01:00 PM
It depends on the fax machine/printer fax that you have connected to your computer.

We have a Brother MFC 4420C, which has built-in PC Fax software. When I'm in a document, I go to the "File" menu, select "Print...", then under the Printer Name, select "Brother PC-Fax". Then, instead of printing the document on paper, it pops up a fax machine picture and asks me the fax number. I enter it, then press the "start" button and it sends the document to that number.

Most of the PC Fax software out there is pretty similar, but your fax machine or other peripheral must have PC Fax capabilities. Otherwise, you need to print it out on paper, then fax the paper.

HTH!

boonpnutsmom
05-29-2005, 10:52 PM
There are some software programs that allow you to fax through your computer without any other hardware attached to your computer. There may even be a software program on your computer that you have never used. Look in your start menu under accessories and see if you have anything called Phone Tools. There is a PC fax program that is in this that enables you to fax directly through your computer. The only hitch is , you do need to have a phone line connected to your computer as it cannot go through a cable connection. Let me know if you need any further help and I may be able to email you a program that will work for you.

TulipMama
05-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks. . .

I'll play around with it and let you know.

I'm doing some job applications, and it is SOOOO much easier to respond to the ones that want you to respond via e-mail. But some want it fax'd. . .

Patrysha
05-31-2005, 04:36 AM
There used to be some free fax programs available online. Our latest computer came with one installed so I haven't checked lately. All you need to do is hook up the computer to the phone line. In our case I just hit print and choose the fax printer from Word and it loads up from there...

HTH

Nancy
05-31-2005, 02:43 PM
You might want to try a Google search for "free fax"....at one time, there was a place where you could get a fax number and be able to send and receive fax's through your email address. If that makes any sense!!! :rolleyes