PDA

View Full Version : Favorite newborn cover?

Katydid
05-28-2005, 07:26 AM
For those of you that use prefolds, what is your favorite cover for a brand new baby? I use bummis pull up pants on my 17 month old and :heart :heart :heart them! But when he was a newborn, those were just too big! So I bought some pro wraps and they were OK, but I didn't like how "plasticy" they were. Now that I am newly pregnant :eek :hearts I have been thinking about what we might need for the new baby and I think I would like some new newborn covers. What (inexpensive) covers do you all like for little ones?

anniegirl
05-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Congrats on your pregnancy! :highfive

I used proraps and liked them pretty well. They do a good job at keeping in the bf poo. All PUL fabric is going to have that plasticky-ness though. If you don't mind it I think proraps really are the best for the newborn period, but any cover with gussets would probably be fine.

I've heard good things about using fuzzibunz on newborns too. They're quite a bit pricier though.

This time around I'm making pocket dipes and fitteds (to go with the proraps) for the new babe. The one thing that I don't like about prefolds on newborns is they don't keep the poo from getting on the cover, so you either have to wash often or have a lot of covers.

Katydid
05-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Congrats on your pregnancy! :highfive

Thanks! :)

The one thing that I don't like about prefolds on newborns is they don't keep the poo from getting on the cover, so you either have to wash often or have a lot of covers.

I do remember that! and we only had 4 covers, so I was washing them out by hand a lot! I didn't mind them too much, I just wondered if there was anything else out there people like better. I think I would like to get just a couple more covers so we won't have to wash so frequently
Thanks so much for your input, anniegirl... Anyone else?? :shrug

milkmommy
05-29-2005, 09:19 AM
I loved my diaperaps. :tu

Deanna

lovemychildren
05-29-2005, 10:27 AM
The one thing that I don't like about prefolds on newborns is they don't keep the poo from getting on the cover, so you either have to wash often or have a lot of covers.

i KNOW this sounds like a sarcastic remark.. but it so isn't... i'm just SO new at CD.. I haven't even BOUGHT one yet.. for my new baby.. My question is.. if prefolds don't do a good job w/nb bf poo then what **IS** the answer?? Pocket Diapers for NBs???? HELP... LOL

SOrry for hopping on your thread and butting in when I have no good advice.. just a question. :grouphug

milkmommy
05-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I actually loved prefolds in the newborn stage and with the proper fold did and excellent job of keeping the cover clean. I had 5 covers and with my super pooper it was plenty. Many like fitted diapers with covers they like the extra protecting the gathered legs of a fitted diaper provide.

Deanna

anniegirl
05-29-2005, 12:36 PM
No worries! I don't think your question sounded sarcastic at all! :cool It's hard to know and it mostly comes down to personal preference anyway.

I think it depends on the babe and your prefold skills. Ds had big, super runny, explosive poops for a looonnnng time, and no matter what fold or whether I used a snappy or not, it always got on the cover. It's not really a big deal, just an annoyance. And still way better disposables, IMO. We used sposies on ds on a roadtrip when he was four weeks old, and every poop exploded out of the sposie and onto his clothes. At least with cloth the cover keeps it all in.

I'm going to try fitteds with my new babe. Hopefully the elastic will keep things in better. :shrug You could always get a few of both and see what you like better.