PDA

View Full Version : Smart Balance micro popcorn?

Irene
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
so does anyone know about this? I saw this today in the grocery store and almost bought it :mrgreen but I was scared... one said butter flavor, which had dairy in it, but the other "light" didnt seem to.. or have soy either :tu the only red flag was "natural and artificial flavors" :/ thats probably not a good sign huh? oh I would love some microwave popcorn! :yum

Irene
05-27-2005, 04:00 PM
oh never mind... I just looked at their site and it does have dairy :/ the package I read today didnt say dairy... o well....

flowermama
05-30-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry. :( I wonder why the package didn't say it contained dairy. :/

:hug

I don't know if this is any good, but after doing search on google I found this... the non butter flavor on this page sounds like it might be okay. It uses palm oil.
http://www.healthy-eating.com/pantry_items.html#Organic%20Popcorn

Can you not have soy either? I noticed that a list I saw on the web of things vegans can eat included microwave popcorn except for the butter-flavored kind, so I looked up one. This one doesn't have dairy, but it does have soy (partially hydrogenated :( )...
http://www.orville.com/gateway?waf.action=P04ProductDetail&productID=1012&mnav=products

Irene
05-30-2005, 09:08 AM
yeah Im allergic to soy :/ makes finding things to eat hard... but not like popcorn is a necessity-- just a craving ;) thanks for the links :)

serenemama
06-09-2005, 07:21 PM
No but I use cold pressed oil spread called EArth Balance-which is vegan. I pop popcorn and add Earth BAlance with nutritional yeast. Yum.

Irene
06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
yeah I use to use Earth Balance too but it has soy in it too.... I have been using coconut oil on my popcorn but there seems to be a run on coconuts or something. I cant find it in any of the stores and the bulk club I belong to keeps saying back ordered for another month and its been like 4 months now.... and coconut milk has gone from 79 cents a can to almost 3 dollars! interesting....

I just thought maybe the smart balance might get me through till the coconut oil came in- gotta eat popcorn while watching movies! :lol

flowermama
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
That's interesting about the coconuts! Our coconut milk is a dollar a can here. :)

I sometimes use olive oil on my popcorn, and it's pretty okay. I do prefer Earth Balance, though. That would be hard for me to give that up.

I love eating popcorn while watching movies. :tu

Irene
06-11-2005, 11:48 AM
weird, I was just looking at the spectrum site for another post and they are out of coconut oil too!!! so weird!

MySeoulChild
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
FYI - making your own popcorn is SO easy and cheap! :popcorn

You just put a layer of kernels (we buy it bulk at Whole Foods) on the bottom of a stock pot, with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan (We use canola).

When it starts to pop, we put the lid on and shake it around a bit until they're all popped up - then shake on nutritional yeast and/or sea salt :)

Irene
06-21-2005, 03:04 PM
we know how to make popcorn :) its just that coconut oil has been backordered for months now and I dont really care for olive oil on it, and I like something on it.... :) so I was trying to make do for now.... that and microwave popcorn is always so much better :) well, its just plain better with butter on it... o well... nutritional yeast gives me the runs :sick :sick (sorry tmi :blush ) and salt plain is just not very good.