PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of mosquitos

MagnoliaMommy
05-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Anyone have any good tips on how to keep the mosquitos at bay? Other than moving to Alaska. ;)
We have a citronella (sp?) candle, but that is about it. The mosquitos can be quite vicious in our backyard. Do any of those gadgets really work?

lumpofclay
05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Marigolds help some. They don't like the smell.

bostonsmama
05-27-2005, 07:31 PM
here is a link to the same question i just asked in little explorers: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=10484.0 i dont know if you could spray the vinegar and eo's over a portion of your yard where you'll be or not? i cant wait to mix up some of this though!!! i found another thread about bug repellant in nat health forum too...those bugs must be after us all!!!! :spit

gonna have to get some marigolds too ;)

MamaKanga
05-28-2005, 04:55 AM
I have done a lot of research on this because we have west nile here and tons of mosquitos and I'm very worried. We even tried the fancy (and PRICEY) Mosquito Magnet. It didn't work, we sent it back. Basically I don't think there's anything you can do to keep them away. Best to wear bug repellent. One thing I've heard you can do to lessen their population is attract bats by hanging bat houses. I want to do this but haven't gotten around to it yet.

akmyilee
05-28-2005, 05:11 AM
I don't know what part of the country ya'll are in but in Kansas my Grandma and Dad have Martin houses. Martin's are a little bird that will live in houses made of Goards or in a white house, it has to be hung or up on a poll not in a tree, i am sure that you could look online about it. They eat the mosquitos and it works pretty well.