PDA

View Full Version : Reconnecting with Daddy

Winkie
05-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I need tips on how to help my boys (especially the almost 5 yo) deal with missing Daddy. Dh has started driving truck, so he's away M-F and home on the weekend. E is generally himself with me during the week, but his behavior is the pits on the weekends. I'm sure it doesn't help that *I* want to reconnect with dh, so we want to sit & talk w/out interruption -- at least for a few minutes. And all the errands that dh & I each want to do can make the weekend feel hectic.

Winkie
05-30-2005, 05:38 PM
bump

Beyond Blessed
05-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, the only way I can relate is that for 3 months every year we lose Daddy to tax season. It's short-lived, but it's still a struggle. Let's see...I make sure I cuddle with them at night and tell them that Daddy loves them and would really love to be there, but this is what he has to be doing right now. How about having your dh make a tape (audio or video) reading to them. That way they may feel some kind of connection during the week. Do they get to talk to him when he calls? Just because E is acting okay during the week, his weekend behavior seems to say that his sadness had been building up. I always had to take a backseat and let dh interact with the kiddos. Maybe your dh can take your older one out to breakfast or something (maybe run an errand just the two of them). Then afterwards your ds may be more willing to peel himself away from his daddy to give you guys some alone time. :hugheart What a rough time this must be for you! I am sure you miss your dh so much! Do you need help coping too? I just had an idea pop into my head - that you write down quick little love notes during the week when you are thinking of him, then when he leaves you can put them into his suitcase and he can look forward to reading them on the road. Also, I found it helpful to keep a list of the *important* things that we needed to discuss when I did see my dh. That helped get the *business* stuff out of the way so that we could focus on reconnecting. Just a few ideas. :hug2