PDA

View Full Version : Hoe do you co sleep

Joesmomma
05-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I plan to co sleep with this one, longer, and wondered how others do it. I feel very stronly that Dh is our financial provider and works 10 hour days and get up at 530 each morning. I don't feel that he should have to do any nighttime parenting with our newborn, except on one weekend. I have a friend coming to help for 3 weeks and we are buying a futon adn I plan to sleep in our upstairs living room, and when she leaves one of us will go down there. My son gets up at night, adn I tend to him also. I don't understand how some people co sleep with theior dh when they have to get up and work.
How do you do it?
Therese

boonpnutsmom
05-26-2005, 06:44 PM
DS#2 sleeps in the middle of our bed between us. DD sleeps on the other side of DH and DS#1 is on a futon on the floor next to my side. I tend to whoever gets up until about 3 am when I go to bed and DH takes whoever gets up after that until morning. I average about 3 hours of sleep a night, so he can get up early once in awhile.

SingingPraise
05-26-2005, 07:12 PM
well, i guess i'd have to say that i do things differently then you - and of course thats ok :)
My dh works construction. He's out of the house in the summer by 5am at the very latest and he works 8-10 hour days six days a week.
when i mentioned to him that he not nighttime parent he was upset and almost angry with me.
He says that I WORK TOO - 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I can't take a break when I want and generally even have to wait to use the restroom if a child needs me lol. I have a 15yo, an almost 5yo and a 22mo.
We have always coslept baby in the middle but when nursing was not what our baby wanted dh was always more then happy to walk baby, rock baby or lay on the couch at 3am watching baby einstein with our baby. He said that parenting at night helped him feel closer to his children since he was gone all day.

With my 5yo my teen was already many years out of our bed. She slept between us happily til she was crawling and might fall off our bed. Then we put a fullsize mattress on the floor of her room. i'd nurse her in there and then roll away. When she woke i'd nurse her in there again and then roll away back to our bed. When she woke after i was already in bed with dh, he would go and bring her to me - he said he liked to smell her head on the way and stroke her hair while she nursed back to sleep.

When Roman came Zoey was in her full size bed half the night and would join us when she woke the one time and finish the night with us. Both kids sleep between us. Now roman is almost two and the kids share a room each with their own toddler bed. We lay with them in there til they fall asleep after prayers and then leave the room and go to bed in our own bed. When they wake (roman usually around 1 and zoey around 4) they simply walk across the hall and we have a stepstool that they climb up and into bed with us to finish the evening.

so we've transitioned to partial cosleeping. And i'm sure in another year or so they simply won't nightwake and will sleelp the whole night in their own beds.

Dh doesn't use an alarm clock since he's not on a schedule. He generally wakes when zoey joins us around 4am and gets ready and leaves for the day once she's settled in bed with me and her brother. Some days he sleeps another hour and goes in a bit late but he's not salaried/hourly so he really does make his own schedule.

anyway, i have no idea if this helps at all lol or if i'm just rambling but there ya have it

Singingmom
05-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, I feel about like you do about my dh having to get up early. Add to that the fact that he's a very sound sleeper, and it's pretty much all on me at night. I put a bedrail on my side of the bed and put the baby there. I wake up right away if one of my older ones calls out, and I'm down the hall in a flash, although this doesn't happen very often now that they're older. The only problem is when the baby is nursing and another child wakes. The I nudge my dh awake. I might call to the child, "Daddy will be there in a minute," and he goes to them. When they were littler he'd sometimes fall asleep in their beds at that point.

I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. I hope you get some helpful ideas! :-)

blessedmama21
05-28-2005, 10:07 AM
we have had a baby each year of the nursing program. I thought it would be a problem with my husband getting enough sleep for exams, etc., but he appears to have gotten the typical male gene that renders them virtually unconscious in the middle of the night. :D

Radosny Matka
05-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Right now, Patrick and I sleep together in the recliner (he lays on me). It works for us, and we are comfortable.

KoalaMommy
06-01-2005, 04:54 PM
My DH could sleep through anything. The baby doesn't disturb him unless I nudge him to get up. Our situation was different, I was the full time workng out of the house parent for a while, so he gladly got up in the middle of the night. Even now that I'm home, he still does. He loves the time with dd and it makes him feel like he is a more involved parent than if I did everything. I wake up to nurse her and he wakes up if she has gas or a diaper issue.

Soliloquy
06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
My DH didn't wake up at all when my DD was an infant. She never needed to cry at night. She'd start to stir and I'd have her latched on before her eyes even opened. Both my DD and my DH slept through all of ther nighttime feedings! I was the only one who woke up.

Now that she's a toddler, she does wake him up, though. She moves around a lot in her sleep.