PDA

View Full Version : New and frustrated/confused

Titus2:5Catholic
05-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi! My name is Sara. I'm a SAH mother of three- a almost 4 year old boy, a 2 year old girl, and a almost 5 month old boy.
I need some advice from other moms who have been in my situation.

When I was pg w/ #1, I naturally gravitated towards AP (breastfeeding on demand, co-sleeping, babywearing as much as my back would allow :) ) and was very anti-spanking. I considered it verging on abusive. Well, then my DS became a toddler and I had just had #2. I found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the fact I couldn't sit through church or do anything. He was a very high needs child and he was late being verbal, so I also felt like I couldn't communicate with him. My father died two weeks before my daughter was born and that combined with some financial problems lead to ppd/anxiety disorder.

Well, DD was a very calm baby, but as she started to be a toddler we ran into similar problems. At this time we started attending a new church. It has tons of large families and it was so neat to see people bring in their whole family and sit in the front row all through the service, excepting the littlest ones. My children couldn't sit still for 2 minutes. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I was embarrased.

I was also finding it hard to AP discipline. Nothing in Dr. Sears' book worked for me. My child would not stay in place for time outs. He was way too focused to be distracted with another activity. I tried looking on the internet and no one seemed to have any ideas. I found myself becoming angry- saying things I felt were emotionally abusive- because I felt like I had so little control. One day he put a plastic bag over his head that was in the seat next to him (we were in the car) and he wouldn't take it off even when I yelled at him- I was speeding down a highway and had no safe place to pull over. Finally he did it, but it scared the heck out of me.

(Background on my upbringing. My parents were liberals and didn't spank. But I wish they would have rather then do what they did. They used tactics like silent treatments, guilt trips, and empty threats ("You can never talk to any of your friends again). They woudl take huge disobedience great but explode over honest mistakes or small issues. I always walked around on eggshells because I never knew what kind of mood they would be in. This was mostly my dad but my mom certainly had her moments. There were other issues involved- aren't there always, but it still hurt).

I asked a couple of women at the church how they disciplined and they gave me TTUAC. It appealed to me because 1. it would work quick, 2. it seemed to work for hte others, 3. I liked the idea of an immediate negative consequence that I could enforce anywhere, and then could be behind us and we could move on.

Well, we implemented it, and it worked, at least for my DS. DD never seemed to really take to it, probably because I wasn't as consistant with her. But I slowly noticed my attitude changing towards my children. I began to feel cold towards them. Incidents I would have felt compassion about irritated me. I felt like we were adversarial. I couldn't be consistant all the time, and I felt like a failure. Every time my children misbehaved it was my fault....and if I couldn't get my housework done because I was dealing with the children, I felt like a failure because they should be well-behaved enough to clean and do my hobbies as well. We started leaving them more with my mom. I was still AP-minded as far as child care but not as far as discipline. I felt myself enjoying being a parent less and my patience was getting lower and lower. Lately I've noticed my spankings verging on hitting. :bheart I realize that is what spanking is...but there was always a clear line before.

I was beginning to think this was just because I wasn't "cut out" to be a wife and a homemaker, and I should have chosen something different. I was contemplating leaving home, because I didn't feel bonded to my children and I couldn't see why they wouldn't be better off with a perfect mother. I had been led back to Christianity after falling away to witchcraft in part because of my interest in AP, because it showed me how perfectly God designed men and women. But if my children just need to be obedient- anyone can spank them until they do that. What am I special for? I began crying out to God, begging Him to melt my heart towards my children, begging Him for help, for grace, for patience.

Yesterday, during my DD's nap, she crawled into bed with me, and snuggled with me, which we haven't done for I don't know how long. My 5 month old on one side, my 2 year old on the other and all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks- it's the spanking. It's the discipline. I see my children as adversaries, and so I have to win. When I don't win, I'm a failure. I've ceased to see them as blessings and began to see them as puppies I need to get in line. :cry

So I want to quit spanking, I want to go back. But I don't want to err on the other side either- just because spanking isn't involved doesn't mean it's not abusive. And I need to find ways to get them to behave- I can't have total chaos, I just can't. I like sitting through church. I like being able to tell my son to stop in a parking lot and know he will. I only have so many hands, I need some level of compliance. DH is totally willing to stop spanking, and he admits some of my points, especially since I'm so sure it's it (he's so wonderful! He's been praying and working with me to find a solution to how I've been feeling). But he is very insistant that we find some method of discipline that works- he doesn't want to go back to what we were doing before. What have those of you done who have been there?

Beyond Blessed
05-26-2005, 11:16 AM
:nak

oh my goodness, i just have to hug you!!!!! :hug2 that is exactly how i felt - you will get great support/ideas here! welcome!

MamatoBiz
05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Thank you Lord for bringing this mamma here among so many ladies who have been there and know her pain, and can help! :amen

Crystal's website www.aolff.com has been a wonderful resource for me. I strongly suggest you get hold of a copy of her book Biblica Parenting. It's a life-changer if I've ever known one.

You are so welcome here :heart

ArmsOfLove
05-26-2005, 11:40 AM
(((((((Sara))))))) I'm reading your story and :cry You are not the only one who is going through or has gone through such an experience. Your situation is unique because it's you and your children, but you are not alone! :grouphug

Please read through and post in our Gentle Discipline forum where we can help you with some great Grace-Based Discipline techniques that do gain compliance with reasonable expectations. It's possible to drop the punishments alltogether (and spankings are punishments but so are what was done to you as a child :cry :hug) and end the adversarial relationship while still having firm and consistent boundaries. We're here to support you through the paradigm shift and on this journey :)

flowermama
05-26-2005, 11:49 AM
(((Sara))) :heart

Katiebug
05-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Welcome :hugheart

Sounds like you're in a tough spot right now. Have you read Barbara Coloroso's book Kids Are Worth It? In the book, she identifies the three types of families, called Jellyfish Families (what it sounds like your parents were), Brickwall Families (maybe what you've found yourself becoming) and Backbone Families (a nice in-between spot, where most of us want to be). Anyways, I found it very helpful.

I look forward to getting to know you :grin

mom2threePKs
05-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I just want to give you big big ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))! As you start to read through this site i would encourage you to think of this as a journey. Changing the way you view the world is a huge shift and will take time and patience but it will be so worth it!!!!!!

Welcome! May God richly bless you and your children as you head down this road with us!!!!

Magan

Katherine
05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Welcome! I am so glad you are here, and so touched by your story. I was given TTUAC when my precious ds was only 6 months old. I came from a Christian punitive family so it seemed like an even purer, more detailed and concise version of what I already believed. :( It had a very destructive affect on my relationship with my son, and although we have come so very VERY far away from that (Praise the Lord! :amen) I still see and feel the effects. I guess I just want to say that there definitely IS a way to parent without punishing and without sacrificing standards, and I want to reassure you that our relationships with our children CAN heal by God's grace if we are willing to be humble and to let Him change our hearts and attitudes! :heart

TBH, when I moved away from spanking and other punitive types of parenting I floundered for a while--trying to figure out how in the world to set boundaries when I had "no recourse" as it felt at the time. It took a lot of time, study, reading, pondering for my understanding to develop. Your whole mindset about kids, parents, control, and discipline has to change.

Start reading!! You'll probably find that you relate to a lot of posts by other moms. And definitely post if you have questions or need advice about specific situations. The mommas here are a wealth of information and encouragement... this board and the good books I've read have changed our lives and our family. :hearts The two that really impacted me the most at the early stages of my learning curve were:

Biblical Parenting by Crystal (her website has already been posted)
Raising Your Spirited Child by... (Mary Kurcinka Sheedy.... ?? I think... correct me someone if I'm wrong)

MarynMunchkins
05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
My kids are about the same spacing. :) We came from a really punitive place because I felt like I *had* to control everything so I could keep my sanity. ;)

My mom gave me a copy of TTUAC. :cry It really does tear apart your relationship with your children and make you rue the day you became a mom. :(

But GBD is fabulous! :tu Even with the issues we do deal with, I am able to discipline without feeling like a big meanie or like I got run over. And it works - my sil and I went to the park yesterday. Between the two of us, we have 7 kids under 6. :wow We had a great time, and all the kids stayed with us when they needed to and played together. Followed directions and everything - even the ones to stop in the parking lot :D

:hug Welcome to GCM! :D

Joanne
05-26-2005, 03:30 PM
What a heartfelt, sincere, beautiful post!

I look forward to getting to know you as you build your grace based discipline tools!

inesperada
05-26-2005, 03:36 PM
((((((Sara)))))) :hugheart :pray

katiekind
05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Sara,

:hug

Oh, I am so glad you are figuring this out now.

Can I just encourage you: your children are so young. A normal 4 year old boy is often quite a handful. It's the age, not the quality of the child or the parenting that makes 4 year olds that way. I can spot a four year old a mile away. They are the ones that are silly, exuberant, and frequently "out of bounds". If Momma says, "hold my hand while we cross the street" the 4 year old will hold her wrist or her purse--not the hand--and walk across the street--facing backward. They love to find the very edge of the boundary. Another thing about 4-year-olds--they love to use their new awareness of how language works--usually in very silly, exuberant ways. And then of course two is an age that brings challenges, too. So you've got one each. Plus the baby!

There's lots of help here and you don't have to be permissive. You do have to be proactive and "think ahead of your children". I was with a wonderful mother of a two year old boy the other night and was so impressed at her gentle ways. She was never in an adversarial position with him because she was always thinking ahead of him. She knew him so well that she knew where the "trouble spots" would be and she had a plan. It brought all the memories rushing back of how I handled my boys at those ages. It seems like it takes a lot of work but at the same time it is so rewarding. With 4 year olds you have to set boundaries and be aware of the fact that they are going to stake out their own special territory on the very edge of the boundary. You may find yourself taking a deep breath now and then and telling yourself--"this will be ok. It's not quite what I had in mind but it's ok." And then at the times when it's not ok, be firm about it.

Regarding church--I remember many times we did not sit in church when our youngest son was 4. And I remember taking him out to the nursery all in kind of a selfish huff and what did I find back in the nursery but the wonderful daddy (who was an elder in our church ) of a little three year old girl sitting on the floor in the nursery with her. Just his example of sitting there all relaxed and passing toys back and forth with his little daughter (their 4th child) was a beautiful object lesson to me -- I don't remember the sermons from those days. I do remember the godly example of that elder and his little daughter back in the nursery. That little girl is now a sweet 12-year-old and sits through big church all the time--as does my 14 year old, of course. (She blesses our congregation by writing and singing lovely praise songs.)

I say all that to say this: I'm so glad you found your way here. I hope we can be an encouragement to you, and no doubt, vice versa! Welcome!
:cup

Paz
05-26-2005, 05:11 PM
:hug
:pray

tree_hugger
05-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Welcome Sara! :hug

I hope you enjoy being here and learn lots. :heart

FlyingBlueKiwi
05-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Welcome, Sara. :hug We're glad you're here!

DebraBaker
05-27-2005, 05:09 PM
I would agree with the resources mentioned. I think it may be a good idea for you to do a Bible study and see how the Bible doesn't command parents to spank or use punitive methods.

The backbone analogy is a good one, you will learn a balanced parenting in which you are the boss but you are not a tyrant. At first it may seem harder and more chaiotic but it will get better and you will grow in your confidence and what seems so impossible now will, with practice, become natural for you.

And you will be doing the hard work instead of leaving it to the next generation.

Some moms here are grom grace based families and a lot of what people like me struggle with is natural for them.

Debra Baker