PDA

View Full Version : *cheap* dishwasher soap!

bostonsmama
05-25-2005, 09:09 PM
ok, so i just tried the 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of borax in my dishwasher, and it worked great! my dishes look wonderful! im soooo excited! not only is it dirt cheap, its soo much safer than what i have been using! (cascade, etc.) i dont know if i saw that recipe here or on another board, but if it was here---THANKS!! to whoever posted it!!! :tu

:jump

Mothering by Heart
05-25-2005, 09:29 PM
i have been wanting to try this. Haven't made it to th store to get all the ingredients yet, though. Glad it worked :tu

tempus vernum
05-26-2005, 06:32 AM
I used to use this - after a while, it started leaving a film on my dishes. I added vinegar to the rinse and started adding to the bottom of the dw but nothing helped. I wonder if our water is too hard for this or if I was doing something wrong??

bostonsmama
05-26-2005, 11:59 AM
argh--- a film? dangit! hopefully i wont have that problem? :shrug

milkmommy
05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
We don't have a dishwasher but we use cheep shampoo in place of dish soap, like the huge bottles from the dollar store a few teaspoon and water in an old dawn container and we have dish soap works great. Its also strawberry scented :tu

Deanna

Allison
05-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Neat! I'm gonna try this! Can I put vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser?

bostonsmama
05-30-2005, 07:52 PM
i tried vinegar in my rinse aid dispenser a few months ago---it didnt go over well. everything was still soaked. but, i think i'll try it again. i know others have had good luck w/this? let me know how yours goes! :tu

TulipMama
05-31-2005, 01:50 PM
I bought borax this week! Will try this. I'm not thrilled with the dishwasher we have. . .

Abinsmom
06-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Okay, yes I DID just fall off the turnip truck yesterday...can someone please tell me what exactly Borax is??? Is it natural?

I just bought a new d/w (love it, thankyouverymuch!) but am intrigued by this baking soda/borax recipe. Enlighten me please! Right now we're using Costco d/w detergent and JetDry.

Mothering by Heart
06-03-2005, 02:23 PM
You can find Borax in the laundry aisle.
I just tried this recipe, minus the washing soda becasue I need to find it first ;) So far, so good :tu

bostonsmama
06-04-2005, 07:49 AM
amy---its actually baking soda, not washing soda. at least the one i found is.....would washing soda work too? i use washing soda in my laundry detergent, along w/borax and some grated up zote soap! it works wonders too! i have heard a lot of mamas say they didnt like zote soap, but i :heart this recipe :) :)

joyfulmomof2
06-04-2005, 08:22 AM
i don't have a dishwasher either, so the shampoo idea is a great one!! thanks!!