PDA

View Full Version : Budget Veggie Meals my DH will like!

Soliloquy
05-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Please share your veggie recipes that non-vegetarians seem to like. We're not vegetarian, but I'm hoping to cook veggie meals several nights a week to ease the budget. I have a Moosewood cookbook, but DH hasn't liked the few recipes I've tried from it (and they were time consuming, too :td).

Thanks!

gamomof2
05-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Well, my stand-by veggie meal is stir-fry. Dh really loves it, and you can add variety by changing the veggies. Last night I made a veggie stir-fry with asparagus, green peppers, red onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. I added teriyaki sauce and served it over hot rice. I also love adding water chestnuts and baby corn, but I didn't have any. I like to save time by washing and slicing the veggies when I get home from the grocery store, that way they are all ready to be tossed with some olive oil in a hot wok or pan! There are also lots of great frozen bags of pre-cut stir-fry veggies.
You can also change it up by using brown rice or even lo mein noodles. HTH!

Punkie
05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
My family generally likes Italian and Mexican vegetarian meals, and both are pretty cheap. You can do baked ziti, spaghtetti, any of the italian pasta dishes with chickpeas, veggie burritos, tostadas, tacos, quesadillas, etc, etc.

gamomof2
05-25-2005, 06:00 PM
My dh and kids *love* cheese enchiladas, which are vegeterian friendly, but not vegan unless you use vegan cheese.. which I am still experimenting with. Anyway, they looove when I make cheese enchiladas for dinner. We also make quesadillas a lot; I use pepper jack cheese, red onions, cilantro and avocado for dh and I; and the mexican cheese blend for the kids.

Mamatoto
05-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Salads and soups
Nacho's with refried beans and cheese and salsa
Veggie chili w/ cornbread
Rice and veggies w/ bragg's aminos

Mothering by Heart
05-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you have a Trader Joes?
We tried their boxed quinoa stir-fry and dh loved it!! :tu