PDA

View Full Version : Granola Bars...

Close2MyHeart
05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Anyone have a tried and true recipe??

Soliloquy
05-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Well, not tried and true but there's one in the LLL Whole Foods for the Whole Family cookbook. I could post an edited version here, if you like!

JJsMom
06-04-2005, 12:26 PM
http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/ChewyGranolaBars.asp

This one is our favorite! I used to make it a couple times a week! The only problem is it turns out a little crumbly, but it helps if you add a bit extra honey and marg. I use dairy free marg, maybe that makes a difference. :shrug I know others here like this one too. It calls for two cups choc. chips, but I add one cup of raisins or a some dried blueberries and coconut. Two cups seems like a lot to me. I hope you like them!

Punkie
06-04-2005, 02:38 PM
We also really like this one from Laine's Letters
http://lainesletters.com/recipe/granolabars.html

Close2MyHeart
06-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks!!

JJsMom, I did a search on allrecipes.com and came up w/ that one last week. Very good, but turned out crumbly. I will add a little extra honey and marg next time and see if that helps :) I also added raisins and nuts instead of choco chips... but not 2 cups. Seemed like way too much to me too.

TulipMama
06-04-2005, 06:26 PM
This one was posted on the old board, and I reposted it on my blog (http://www.tulipgirl.com/mt/archives/000597.html).

Lactating Mama's High-Calorie Granola Bars

Two different quantities are listed for each ingredient - the first if if using a 10 1/2" X 15 1/2" jelly roll pan, the second is if using a 13" X 18" jelly roll pan.

4 or 6 cups oats
2/3 or 1 cup coconut oil (or melted butter for non-vegans)
1/2 or 3/4 cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup (or combination)
2 or 3 eggs or equivalent in eggs substitute
1/2 or 3/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 or 3/4 tsp. salt
up to 1 or 1 1/2 cups of any or all of the following: shredded coconut, raisins, almonds, walnuts, pecans, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, chocolate or carob chips, and/or your favorite nuts/seeds/dried fruit.

1. spread oats on baking sheet and bake at 350' for 15-20 minutes to toast. can bake longer at lower temp or shorter at higher temp depending on your schedule. should be a nice golden brown when finished.

2. transfer oats to large bowl. add salt and any other chosen dry ingredients and mix to blend.

3. combine wet ingredients in smaller bowl, and mix until blended.

4. add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.

5. press mixture into greased jelly roll pan of appropriate size (see above). you can also line the pan with parchment paper instead.

6. bake at 350' for 20 minutes. cool. cut into bars. store in refrigerator in sealed container.

*if using chocolate/carob chips either a)allow oats to cool before adding the chips to the mix or b)after pressing mixture into pan, sprinkle chips on top and press the chips into the mix.

*you can substitute additional honey/maple syrup/molasses for the eggs/egg substitute, but the bars are a bit more sticky and have less protein.

super yummy. lots of calories. lots and lots of oats.

(Originally Posted by Atarah.)

Close2MyHeart
06-06-2005, 04:48 AM
mmm Tulip Mama, those look delicious! Thank you! :) I'll have to try them.