PDA

View Full Version : Flower arranging help?

DogwoodMama
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I need help... I don't buy flowers very often b/c I am so bad at arranging them. :O But The had some for a decent price at TJs this morning ($3 per bunch) so I picked up two bunches... but I don't know how to make a nice arrangement! Tips & suggestions would be appreciated... :)

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL294/1893299/6807926/97982539.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL294/1893299/6807926/97982520.jpg

Should I make the stems shorter? Add more greenery? I like the "clustered" look, which is what I was going for, but it looks weird to me for some reason...

doubleblessings
05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Ok I am NOT an expert at this, so my advice may be completely wrong....
but I think with that vase the flowers should be more spread out. I looked at some arrangements online and usually the flowers are wider than the widest part of the vase. So for that vase I would put the flowers at angles (maybe use a tape grid). If you want more of that look for the flowers, I would use a straight vase (or maybe just a smaller one). If you don't have any greenery I think I would have the flowers closer to the top of the vase (less stem).

bostonsmama
05-25-2005, 03:22 PM
i have never made a fresh flower arrangement, but i have done some fake flower ones. totally not an expert! but, i would leave them just like they are but maybe cut the stems an inch or so. the all together look is "in" if i will say...haha, i love it! those flowers are gorgeous too! anyways....you may also want to try a more cylindrical (is that a word...lol) vase and see if that helps ya? i personally wouldnt add greenery, but it would look lovely if you did. :) hth!

Mamaka
05-25-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd go with shorter stems too.

DogwoodMama
05-25-2005, 04:18 PM
I'll do that after dinner. I'm always such a wimp about cutting stems.... :O Thanks for the advice!

crunchymum
05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
pretty!

i would cut the stems, too. one thing i notice when i watch people arranging flower is they do one stem at a time.... if you want it to be veiwed from all sides, i would make the ones in the middle slightly longer, with the ones surrounding slightly shorter and angled a bit. :shrug it's hard to explain with words! :lol