PDA

View Full Version : How often do you bake?

GrumpyMom
05-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I was looking at some of the homekeeping schedules on the sticky and I saw that some of you have a certain day that you bake. So I was wondering if most of you bake daily, weekly, whenever you feel like it, or a combination. If you bake is it for practical purposes, or enjoyment, or both? If you bake weekly, do you make enough to last the week or is it gobbled up the first day?

I love to bake but I don't do it as often as I like because I'm don't want us to gain a lot of weight. My dh was raised in a food-deprived home (step-mother who was more concerned about not being a size 2 than feeding her ds and step-son) so I like to have homemade goodies around...but he eats them all in one sitting LOL. I'd LOVE to start doing bread (I mostly do cookies or cake when I bake) but I know we'd inhale it. That's why I haven't bought a bread machine. But I've been trying to cook more at home and I'd like to add homemade bread to the menu. We used to eat out a lot. If you make bread, how often do you make it? Do you have a bread maker or do the old fashioned way? Give me the low down :).

ArmsOfLove
05-24-2005, 08:18 PM
we bake a loaf of bread every night (except sometimes on the weekend). It's because we find store bought gf bread . . . well . . . ummm . . . nasty :P So it's practical. We have a bread machine and dh starts a loaf of bread before he goes to bed and pulls it out before he leaves for work.

Normally I try to bake often--at least once a week or so--goodies. Usually cakes and pies. I'll go through stages where I don't bake at all, then stages where I bake all the time :P We all love goodies and we don't get much as a general rule--and I just try to make it as healthy as possible ;)

gamomof2
05-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't bake a lot right now; maybe once or twice a month. My family would sure love it if I started baking more often again! :O I do love to bake, though. I would really love to start making homemade bread; my Grandma gave me their bread machine after my Grandpa passed away. (Admittedly it has been a little hard for me to use it because I still really miss my Grandpa and he *loved* making fresh bread :heart)

Mamaka
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I try to bake once a week - treats such as cookies or cakes. Since we have a small family, I can usually get by on that, tho once Noodle gets bigger I'm guessing that won't be the case. ;)

heartofjoy
05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I bake once a week, for practical purposes. I bake three loaves of whole wheat bread, the old fashioned way. I use a bread machine recipe though, so it's not really very complicated. I freeze two loaves, and take them out as needed. They usually last 5-7 days depending on what's going on that week, and how many times we have sandwiches. We only tend to "inhale" that first loaf. It's so good hot out of the oven! :yum

I bake goodies whenever I feel like it. Usually 3-4 times a month.

poetmom
05-25-2005, 03:34 AM
I bake on an irregular basis, making bread, muffins or biscuits mostly.....probably averages out to twice or three times a week. The girls like to make cookies, and they do that about once a month, maybe twice.

Iarwain
05-25-2005, 01:32 PM
I bake bread about twice a week and usually we have muffins or biscuits or some such one or two times a week. We don't do much in the way of cookies, cake and the like unless it is a special occasion. Sometimes I'll make a pie with whatever fruit is in season just for a treat.

When I do bread I make a 4-6 loaf batch although some of that may get turned into hamburger buns or donuts. We go through about a loaf a day for the seven of us. Like someone else said, the first loaf is always inhaled! That is one reason why a bread machine wouldn't work for us, I'd be baking every single day and we'd never have any left for sandwiches! I used to do it totally the old-fashioned way and that worked for me for a number of years. Now I have this (http://www.k-tecusa.com/kitcheneticsk2.html) and it does all the mixing for me and saves quite a bit of time. I also have the grain mill from the same company and mill my own flour (soooo yummy!) right before baking. (Before you hyperventilate -I did NOT pay the price on that website but it still wasn't cheap.) With the mixer it takes me about 15 minutes of actual labor give or take a few to make a 4 loaf batch of bread even including milling the flour (which is really nothing more than pouring it in the top of the mill and hitting the switch).

MamaJamie
05-25-2005, 06:29 PM
i'd really like to start baking more. i'm the only bread eater in this house and my hips certainly don't need it!

Lauren loves to make cookies and other goodies, so we try to bake every couple of weeks at least!

j

heartofjoy
05-25-2005, 06:38 PM
I used to do it totally the old-fashioned way and that worked for me for a number of years. Now I have this and it does all the mixing for me and saves quite a bit of time.

Just wanted to say that with the recipe I use, it takes me 10 minutes to dump the ingredients into a bowl, mix, and knead. For 3 loaves. Those machines are WAY cool, but I thought I'd mention this in case someone is reading who wants to make homemade bread, but either can't afford the mixer or doesn't think they have the time. Look at the ages of my kids. If I can make homemade bread, anyone can!!! :P :mrgreen :tu

It really doesn't take as much time as I thought it would.

But I would like a grain mill and a mixer, someday. :hearts