PDA

View Full Version : Canned salmon?

semarj
05-24-2005, 07:38 PM
I have several cans of Alaskan salmon. I think my MIL bought them after ds was born. Anyway, I don't do much canned food, and less canned meat. So, is this salmon that I should worry about mercury, and what can I do with it? MIL used to make salmon patties for her kids, but I don't really like them. Anyway, any suggestions would be great!

Singingmom
05-24-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't think you have to worry about mercury if you only eat canned salmon or tuna once in a while.

The other day I made a good pasta salad using a box of whole wheat spirals, a can of salmon, vidalia onions, grape tomatoes halved, peas, & lots of dill. You could add any veggies you like. I made a dressing from vegenaise (mayo) and italian dressing. Even my picky eater liked it.

There's a lot of calcium in the bones - you can leave them in because they're soft and they'll get broken up as you break up the salmon. I personally have to remove the skin and the vertbrae. ick. (not a good note to end on?)

Hope you like it! :-)

semarj
05-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks! That sounds really yummy actually, well except for the vertebrae and skin part! But I would have been suprised to find it in there so I'm glad you mentioned it!

Havilah
05-25-2005, 08:30 AM
I looked up canned salmon a few months back on a mercury risk page and it was a very low risk fish. I don't have time to find the page now, but I wouldn't worry about a few cans :)

Soliloquy
05-25-2005, 02:13 PM
canned salmon is almost always wild Alaskan salmon (look at the label) which is the safest and healthiest fish to eat.

Someone else posted some recipes . . . I"ll try to find them!