PDA

View Full Version : growing veggies in pots

GrumpyMom
05-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I've never grown veggies before and I'd like to start small with pots this year. What kind of soil should I use? I think I'd like to do tomatoes. Any suggestions or experiences?

snlmama
05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Tomatoes do well in pots. I'd just buy one of those bags labeled "garden soil". :) We're doing ours in pots this year b/c we had trouble keeping the dog out of the garden last year and they are doing fine so far.

cheri
05-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I use potting soil. I'm growing a few foods in pots, including tomatoes. Right now I just have a stake in the pot to hold up the plant and I'll have to get a bigger stake when it grows taller.

DogwoodMama
05-31-2005, 08:52 AM
How big a pot does a tomato plant need? I have some 12-inch pots, I'm wondering if they are big enough... I used to have mums in them...

kalemommy
05-31-2005, 11:54 AM
I've grown carrots and radishes in pots and been successful. I just used potting soil.

I've also planted herbs in pots and they do quite well.

Wikolia
05-31-2005, 02:19 PM
How big a pot does a tomato plant need? I have some 12-inch pots, I'm wondering if they are big enough... I used to have mums in them...

I personally would go for something bigger. But, you could always try and see what happens. tomatoes root deeper than a lot of vegies, including corn. also, a bigger pot will retain moisture longer than a smaller one-you'll have to water it less. A dwarf variety would do better. I have 3 tomatoes in pots, rest are inground. All my pots are 18 inches, and tomatoes all seem to be doing ok-loaded with tomatoes. (One is open to the ground)

You can always cut the bottom part of the pot out and set the pot over dirt-it will just root into the ground that way :)

Vicki