PDA

View Full Version : should I make the switch? (help!!)

GodChick
05-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Okay, I'm new to the whole CD thing, so please bear wtih me if I ask stupid questions! :) I have a few questions about CD for both my kids.

First, my DD1, Serena, has labial adhesions. She had them once before, and with estrogen cream (*sigh* :td) they resolved. But now she's got them again. She is two years, five months old and not using the toilet yet. I've always been very good about changing her disposables; I'm not one of those moms who tries to save $ by not changing frequently. She's never had a diaper rash, ever, but she still got the labial adhesions even though they're usualy caused by irritation. The key to minimizing her chances of developing the lesions is for her to stay dry. Would switching to cloth dipes this late in the game be of any benefit? Or do the disposables actually keep her drier? Or should I just try to encourage toilet learning . . . she'll sit on her potty, but gets very itimidated at the idea of actually DOING anything on it. When I see she's about to mess her diaper, and ask her if she wants to go potty, she's like, "Noooo! Not NOW!!" :shrug Any ideas on what would be of most benefit:
:arrow staying in disposables?
:arrow switching to cloth?
:arrow toilet learning even though she's reluctant right now? And if so, how? We haven't been doing EC, so I assume it's too late to start that?? :shrug If not, how do I start this late in the game? Or any other ideas about toilet learning in the reluctant child? (wouldn't force the issue, but it may help her labial adhesions!)

Second, I want to prevent DD2 from having the same problem. The doc recommended using petroleum jelly at each changing, but I'm using lansinoh instead, because I don't like putting petroleum on her genitals! But do you think cloth diapers would be of benefit in preventing this, if the key is to keep dry? Or do disposables stay drier?

Sorry for being totally ignorant . . . I could use some advice!! Thanks, ladies! :hearts

DogwoodMama
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Honestly, I am a huge proponent of CDs, but I think that kids feel "drier" in disposables... but using CDs can help them potty train earlier b/c they can feel when they are wet and that increases awareness of bodily functions, if that makes sense. There are some diapers that my dd feels drier in than others, like Wonderoos, where the material helps wick moisture away from the body. I'd type more but dd keeps trying to type so I'd better submit this while I can!

milkmommy
05-24-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree with the PP I LOVE and am a total CD advocate but I also acknowlege disposables keep her drier (why we use them at night) also the leasions can be irritated by detergent residues which would be a factor with cloth. If you do decide to try cloth go with pockets. They will keep her the driest.

Deanna

BornFreeBaby
05-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Have you tried diff. types of disposables to see how the lesions are affected? My dd always gets rashes w/ Huggies, but not w/ pampers-
Also maybe buy a few cloth dipes to try it out first before you spend the $ on the initial start up cost?

Just some ideas... I just ordered some FB cloth dipes, and I will let you know how it goes...

GodChick
05-24-2005, 01:15 PM
well, I've used different kinds of disposables, but they're adhesions, not lesions (the skin grows together http://www.drgreene.com/21_101.html ) so it's not something that quickly appears and clears up . . . so I haven't been able to link it to a particular brand.

BornFreeBaby
05-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Thank you for the link..sorry, I misunderstood. :O

Moon
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I was thinking of the unbreathability of sposies as I read your post. My ds would rash in any dipe setup that wouldn't breathe well. He wears just fitteds around the house during the day, with no waterproof barrier/cover on top. I can tell as soon as he's wet and change him right away. When we go out he usually wears a pair of wool shorts over top, again, breathable. The wool doesn't increase the temp inside his dipe, when I slip a finger between the dipe and his skin it's cooler when he's wearing wool than it is when he's wearing PUL (more common cloth dipe cover, not so breathable).

Just throwing that out for consideration :-)

wuzzie
05-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I honestly wonder if the chemicals in the sposies are irritating her? If it were me I would switch to a chamical free sposie. Tushiesand seventh generation are 2 names to look for.

GodChick
05-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks, ladies, for your thoughts. (No reason at all to apologize, kindergirl, I just figured I should have explained better in my original post! :heart) That's kind of what I was wondering too, Moon and wuzzie; if maybe the unbreathability or the chemicals in the sposies were more of an irritant, or if the dampness of the cloth would be more of an irritant. I've read a few things that say that babies actually stay drier in cloth, but it seems to be that the reason is that they get changed more, because they feel damp and protest. (is that right?) If that's right, then I don't know if cloth would keep them drier or not, because I have been very conciencous about changing their sposies when they're wet, not just waiting until they're soggy. ;) I dunno . . . maybe I need to get a few sample cloth diedees and give 'em a try, and see what works. (??) The whole thing is a bit confusing for me! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/lilly/aha1blue.gif

milkmommy
05-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Trying a few I think is best. JFYI I tried both 7th generation (which still have the gel btw and tushies both give my DD horrible bleeding open wonds rashes and almost instantly :cry

Deanna