PDA

View Full Version : Garbage can a baby can't get into

Julia R
05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
I need to find a garbage can the baby can't get into and won't be able to figure out for a while. I'd love to find a container with a snapping lid, but all I can find are short, wide containers with snapping lids.

Lady TS
05-23-2005, 05:01 PM
We didn't have much luck finding one, or maybe I gave up too soon looking.

Our trash can sat on the counter in the pantry for over a year. Not the prettiest sight you ever did see, but that's what we did.

My mom kept her garbage under the kitchen sink behind a locked cabinet door.

I know that's not what you were looking for, but in case you can't get any trash suggestions, those are my suggestions. :)

Julia R
05-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Those are good solutions. I need the 3 yo to be able to throw things away, but keep the 1 yo out. That makes it more difficult. We have this stupid @!&%$ garbage disposal under the sink, so the garbage can't go under there. Hopefully someone has found something that works well.

tiglet
05-23-2005, 05:12 PM
I bought a Simple Human garbage can - it's big, heavy, and has "doors" on top that open when you hit the footpedal. Since the doors open from the middle of the can, you can't flip them up by lifting on the sides. B can pull up on it and it doesn't tip over (plus, it's magnetic! She loves sticking her fridge animal magnets on it...)

Maybe when she's bigger, she'll be able to depress the foot pedal and *streeeetch* and get stuff out. But I'm hoping not.
It's a vast improvement over our old plastic can.

It was very $$$, but has been worth it to me so far, even if it doesn't remain Bonnie-proof for as long as I'd like it to.

Mothering by Heart
05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
We found a stainless steel one with a foot pedal at Costco for $32.00!!!! That is cheap considering how much they are elsewhere. The lid is pretty heavy, so that might work for your baby.

Julia R
05-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Can the lid open if they figure out to grab from the seam in the middle?

tiglet
05-23-2005, 08:12 PM
I just tried to open mine from the middle seam - and I can do it, but only from one place on each side, it's fairly difficult, and requires fingernails. :)

snlmama
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Can the lid open if they figure out to grab from the seam in the middle?

Depends on the kid. :grin Mine could, but they could also open the cabinet locks. :eek What we did until I could count on my younger ds to not play w/ the trash was keep it locked up, but have a little box or bag on the counter for my older ds to throw stuff away in.

boonpnutsmom
05-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Our garbage can was forever on top of the dryer, until we got a gate for the laundry room.