PDA

View Full Version : The dog is driving me crazy

ServingGod
05-23-2005, 08:46 AM
My dog is wonderful and sweet and patient...but she has issues. We just moved into a new house, we are renting. Last week my dog escaped her crate, tore out a screen, scratched up the wall...knocked the heater off the wall, scratched up woodwork and peed. We have been dealing with her seperation anxiety now for 7yrs. Nothing has helped. Its frustrating. Then I woke up this morning to the MOST wretched smell...SHE PEED on the carpet!!! It smells awful. I let her out last night for like 30 minutes before bed. If I crate her at night she barks. I dont know what to do with her. She is 9, and slowing down a lot....but her anxiety isnt lessening....and the peeing in the house is just not good. She is a Weimaraner...and is a rescue. Part of me wants to give her up....but then I think of the commitment I made to her when I got her...and then I think about the landlord evicting us because our dog is neurotic...... I dont know what to do!

Kaz
05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
no advice, just wanted to say I TKWYM! Our rescue cat is a real problem too and we're not sure what to do about it. She wakes the neighbours up with her yowling, has ruined our new sofa, thrown up furballs everywhere..I could go on ... :rolleyes

ServingGod
05-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Im sorry! I guess the question is where is the line drawn and how much can and should be sacrificed for a pet??? Before children I would say...as much as one would for a child....but now its simply not like that anymore. :(

Kaz
05-23-2005, 09:46 AM
yes ServingGod that's it exactly. We don't know where the balance is between our commitment to her (the cat) and our desire to have a clean and peaceful house. :shrug

Also, I am seriously concerned that its for us a case of the lowest person/creature in the pecking order copping the brunt of family stress...its an interesting idea. In our case the cat does seem aggravated by our family stress..she indirectly suffers because all our energy goes in to work and dd and the cat gets ignored and yelled at ( :blush ) when she does annoying things. So in my heart I know I ought be just as patient with her as I am with dd but it really does seem too much to ask when she's yowling at 3 am again :rolleyes

I can't believe you've been dealing with doggie trouble for 7 years. Wow, we thought we were doing well putting up with Minnie these past 2 years.

Have you taken your dog to the vet for their advice?

ServingGod
05-23-2005, 09:52 AM
the vet, behaviorists....Ive done just about everything. Now its just crate her when we leave, and hope she doesnt escape or kill herself trying. :( There is usually blood on the bars from her biting them to get out....and she has popped off some claws. Ive been giving her valerian...it seems to lessen it a touch...but now she is peeing on the floor. Dh is NOT an animal person, but he knows how much I love her. But my house REEKS now...and its just gross.

Kaz
05-23-2005, 10:02 AM
oh dear. I think our pets are related! when we crate the cat she goes pyscho too - dh had thick pvc gloves on to get her out and she bit through them!

Its a toughie. :( :shrug

Hope someone has some good suggestions...

Sanveann
05-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Has the vet given you any tranquilizers? That might be the next step.

ServingGod
05-25-2005, 05:41 AM
I spoke with the vet that specializes in behavior issues. She said given the length of time this has been happening, no knowledge of Z's past life, and that I have tried behaviorists, behavior modification, tranquilizers, drugs for anxiety, her prognosis would be guarded to poor of ever becoming slightly normal. :( She said I could try some behav. modification....with drugs....but it would take A LOT of work, and with 3 littles I dont have time for anything that is a lot of work. Dh said we will just keep crating, giving valerian and tying her to our bed at night. He said she is old and only has a couple of years left. :hearts I love him!

kiloyd
05-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Oh my goodness! Hugs to you!

I just thought of an idea. You may not like it, but what about adopitng another adult dog, wonder if that would keep her company? Or maybe at first you could see if a friend would let you 'borrow' their dog for a couple days or week? Just a thought.

I don't like to give animals drugs either, but have you heard of Clomicalm? When I worked for a vet, a lady used it for her neurotic Yorkie.

Good luck
Katherine

Garnet
05-25-2005, 05:54 AM
Weimer's need lots of exercise.............it helps calm them.

ServingGod
05-25-2005, 06:01 AM
We did Clomi Calm....didnt work....and she is dog aggressive. :( She gets exercise...but has slowed down considerably...she is 9 and her muzzle is turning white. We used to have another dog with her...a german shepherd that was an abused rescue....he started growling at the kids and using body language I wasnt comfortable with, so we had to get rid of him. I grew up with a Weim, they are my favorite breed, quirks and all.....she just exceeds the normal quirks by quite a bit. :doh

Garnet
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
What about doggie daycare? Do you have a fenced in enclosure for her? Maybe she coudl spend the day outside, if its in the sun and she has a doggie house and food and water. I don't know what else to say. We have three dogs right now, and I'd like to get rid of all of them, but dh says no.

Sanveann
05-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Hmmmm ... I agree with your DH, that if she only has a couple of years, it is worth sticking it out. :hug I know how tough it can be, though!