PDA

View Full Version : ok gardening mamas. I need some help. like NOW

SingingPraise
05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I've promised to plant a garden with zoey lol
We've dug out the area. Dh put in some fresh dirt for us.

The plan is to go out early tomorrow morning when its still cool (like 7am). I'm going to put in our little plastic fence we bought, then water the dirt, and then zoey, roman and I will dig holes and plant seeds. We're doing watermelon and pumpkin (which should grow according to the charts for arizona in this season) and carrots cuz zoey insisted tho i think they won't make it in the heat.

ANyway. is that it? Plant them down deep, water and leave it??

i can't find info on how often to water either? just when the soil gets dry? I have a compost pile started and no clue hwo to use it. LOL

help me. :lol

arwen
05-22-2005, 07:47 PM
punkin seeds need to be like only an inch deep....same with the watermelon...
remeber that they'll "travel"

the carrots will need to be in a clump/rock free area....really nice soil....that you can just run your hands through....or your carrots will end up looking all crooked...which could be cool if you wanted that ;)

your garden sounds neat! hope it comes out really cool! :grin

Shawn
05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
How long ago did you start your bin? There are some good sites out there that explain ratios of green stuff to brown stuff plus air and water...confusing huh? ;) Basically, keep adding stuff. Try to keep it balanced (equal amounts of green (kitchen scraps) and brown (leaves, newspaper). If it starts to stink, you might have too much green, not enough brown...add more brown to balance it. Turn when you can remember to ;) I turn mine every week or so.

As for planting seeds, I think that's all there is to it. I've always started mine indoors, and I haven't been very successful :O Plant to the depth suggested on the package, cover, water gently, and wait. I would try and keep the soil moist, maybe until the first set of true leaves appear (they are the second set of leaves that come in, and will look like minature versions of 'adult' leaves). Then you can water them less. I really don't know how often to water them.

The carrots may do okay, if they can get a little shade from the pumpkins and watermelon, but I don't know about the root systems of the watermelon/pumpkin :shrug It's worth a try :)

Sorry for the textbook-y ramble...I'm usually asleep by now...Hope ya'll have fun tomorrow :)

SingingPraise
05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
ok got it

compost was just started this week. What about coffee grounds/filters? eggshells?

Can you tell i'm new at this? lol

will take pictures I"m sure.

zoey is so darn excited - I'm just hoping SOMETHING will grow and make her happy
I tend to kill plants and so we have alot of fake plants. lol

Shawn
05-22-2005, 09:37 PM
What about coffee grounds/filters? eggshells?

All okay. I don't know if they're considered green or brown though.

Here's a site that has a chart to let you know what's safe, not and how it acts in the pile.

www.compostguide.com

You could also save the coffee grounds and sprinkle them around your seedlings, kind of thick. I think they're supposed to repel slugs :shrug

It's neat that your little one is so excited! I can't wait til Della gets older and is interested in doing more than throwing dirt around :lol