PDA

View Full Version : need a good recipe for taking dinner to others in need

lumpofclay
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I'd like to have a couple of recipes that I can rely on that are easy to make so that when someone has a need (death in family, moving, new baby, etc.), I can whip it up and bless them with it. :hug Any ideas?

I prefer a vegetarian (no meat or dairy. . . can use soy milk as sub) recipes. I can (try to) adapt a non-vegetarian recipe if you post one though.

Thanks!

A neighbor just had a death in the family, and it occured to me that I'm always trying to think of something (last minute) to take. :rolleyes It would be easier to have a couple of meals that I regularly use.

JJsMom
05-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I almost always make spaghetti. I make a huge batch and freeze it in ziploc bags so I always have some ready to go. Then I make noodles and put it in one of those big throw away containers. Then I make bread or rolls to go with it and usually a little dessert. I know some people make stir-fry and I've made pasta before. HTH!

PurpleButterfly
05-22-2005, 12:30 PM
My standard:

Baked Ziti
Garlic Bread and Plain Rolls
Big Salad w/bottle of Newman's Balsalmic Vinegrette dressing
Whatever bakery dessert looks yummy :yum

I just use ziti noodles, tossed w/jarred spaghetti sauce. I like to add ricotta and parmesan cheese to the mixture, and sprinkle a bit of mozzerella on top to brown during baking (350* for about 30 minutes). But you could eliminate the dairy and it is still yummy - or use nutritional yeast instead of parm! :yum

For the garlic bread, I melt a stick of butter with 1/2 cup vegetable oil, add about 6 cloves of minced garlic, and some MSG-free seasoned salt. Take a loaf of French or Italian bread and cut into slices, then lay in a tin tray. Brush garlic butter mixture very generously on each slice, then sprinkle the whole she-bang with a good handful of fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese. This gets baked at 350* for 5 minutes (burns easily, be careful).

You're a nice neighbor. :heart

lumpofclay
05-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the ideas!! :heart

Kym, thanks for the compliment. :D

These sound yummy! I called my neighbor and I'm taking dinner tomorrow night, so I need to figure out exactly what to do. Kym, the garlic bread sounds like something I need to make for myself. . . :lol. . . guess I'll be making two of those!