PDA

View Full Version : Natural (no-chemical) way to clean glass shower doors?

aahree
05-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Does anyone have a great, sure-fire way to clean built-up soap scum off of clear glass shower doors? I tried vinegar and water, but no luck. Should I have heated it, maybe? Or is there something else that would work better?

Mamaka
05-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Maybe a more potent vinegar than kitchen vinegar (like pickling vinegar which is 20% acid)???

I've heard that Orange TKO or Orange Clean Power Paste work really well (though haven't personally tried them). I think you can get the Power Paste stuff at Walmart.

Mothering by Heart
05-21-2005, 07:25 PM
In an old house of ours, we had this problem. I used one of those green scratchy things and a lot of elbow grease. I would try using baking soda and vinegar.

DogwoodMama
05-21-2005, 07:36 PM
I HIGHLY recommend the Mr Clean Magic sponge or whatever it is called... the white sponges that kind of dissolve when you use them? I can actually get all the soap scum off with those. It comes back eventually, though. But at least I can get it off now!

Can anyone recommend ways to keep scum from coming back so quickly? After about 2 weeks it's built up again. :neutral

Mothering by Heart
05-21-2005, 07:57 PM
My friend has a squeegee suction-cupped to the inside of all of her tubs. they squeegee after each shower. Once you get into the habit, I imagine it's no big deal :shrug Better than scrubbing hard water deposits, I imagine.
I think it's fun. i used to love when I was a kid watching the service man at the gas station squeegee our car windows. I'm dating myself :P~

PurpleButterfly
05-21-2005, 08:00 PM
The best thing I have ever found is so simple you won't believe it....

shampoo!

It's made specifically to break down buildup, and all you have to do is jump in the shower, (give your hair a nice conditioning treatment to soak in while you're working!) and use a generous helping of your regular shampoo. I use a dollar store body puff scrubbie thing specifically for this task, and also bring in a big plastic mug for rinsing ease. :tu

Singingmom
05-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Wow, I'll have to try the shampoo idea some time.

My mom squeegies and never gets build up. She uses a towel to wipe it down, too. Kind of a pain, but it works.

Another idea for after you get it clean is Arm & Hammer's Clean Shower. I don't know if you'd think it's natural enough - you can visit their website for info. about their ingredients. I think it's cleanshower.com. Anyway, I started using it when I moved into this house 6 months ago and I haven't had to clean my shower yet! You spray it all around right after you shower and just leave it. It has a mild scent, but no fumes.

Good luck!

jghomeschooler
05-21-2005, 09:28 PM
I would use bon ami and a green scrubby (I get the scrubbies from the dollar store, I think in a 6 pack). I've heard that using mineral oil will help to clean it up and also help prevent it from building up again. I did this when I lived with my mom, I cleaned the doors using baby oil, VERY slippery so BE CAREFUL if you try that. Good luck.

Boys and Angels
05-21-2005, 10:54 PM
And it keeps things relatively clean. Sorry, but I use windex for the doors. have you tried vinegar? I use vinegar for my regular windows (no soap film to deal with on the indows) and newspaper to rub. They come out great.

tree_hugger
05-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Can anyone recommend ways to keep scum from coming back so quickly? After about 2 weeks it's built up again. :neutral

I'm told that they key to avoiding soap scum is to use a lanolin-free liquid wash, rather than a bar of soap. The build up in the shower is the lanolin. :)

MarynMunchkins
05-22-2005, 07:04 PM
If you spray the shower down with vinegar every day, the soap scum doesn't build up. :)

aahree
05-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks everyone! I tried a combination of the Mr. Clean erasers and straight vinegar (not cut with water) and it worked!!! Yay! DD even *helped* me clean! :lol: