PDA

View Full Version : Contours for NB?

kris10s
05-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Okay, I got a Kissaluvs NB/S contour in a swap and I know I could easily make a bunch of NB contours.

The question is, would I want to?

The contours are definitely less bulky than prefolds, which is nice, but do they contain bf baby poo? Will I have blow outs non-stop? Should I just get over my irrational fear of elastic and try to make some fitteds or save up to buy a stash of Kissaluvs size Os?

TIA!

Moon
05-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Snicker :mrgreen I've been avoiding contours due to the exclusively bf poop explosions that occur. We'll be doing mostly wool, if I was going with a buncha PUL covers it may be more doable. Considering how many more covers you'd need (due to explosions), the price would balance better with the fitteds if you go the used route. They are most costly upfront, but kissaluvs have a great resale value too.

LauraK
05-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I do not know anything about contours and fitteds on a NB but I do know with a snappied premium prefold on my 5 month old I never have had a poop blowout and before I switched to cloth I had blowouts in sposies. I guess it partly depends on the importance of trimness vs. economy.

kris10s
05-21-2005, 01:41 PM
I switched to cloth when dd was 5 months old because of the blowout issue. I never had trouble with 'Roos, infant sized prefolds or even Bumware AIOs. I own 14 premium prefolds but they are my last resort diapers, even now that Kate is 10.5 months old, as practically none of her clothes fit with a premium prefold on.

I guess I'll go with fitteds...

anniegirl
05-21-2005, 01:49 PM
sewing in elastic is a lot easier than you think it is, i promise! just experiment a little and try it. i'm a total beginner at sewing and when i finally got brave enough to try it, it was surprisingly easy. i prefer zig zag stitching it on, stretching it while i go. to me that's easier than sewing a casing. i'm planning on making a bunch of fitteds for the new babe. i used pfs and prowraps with ds. those work pretty well, but always got poop on the covers. i'm hoping the fitteds will save the covers a bit.

Mother of Sons
05-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I made some contours with velcro tabs for . They were for EC, not for diapers but I thought they worked just fine. Prefolds and flats don't have elastic either and prefolds are still preferred by many. :shrug

canadiyank
05-23-2005, 10:46 PM
I had a couple contours for dd2 and hated them...they slid around and they did get poop all over...I use only wool, though, so that's why it was irritating since I had to wash them...I did like the Kissaluvs sz. 0, very cute. I like the newborns from www.sugarplumbaby.com , too.