PDA

View Full Version : Soap in the mouth?!?

domesticzookeeper
05-20-2005, 03:17 PM
On another forum (cat forum, as a matter of fact), there are people that actually advocate this!! :banghead Right along with spanking... :hissyfit

I don't know what to say :shrug :(

4blessings
05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm always surprised when people casually talk about doing this (that and the hot sauce on the tongue :banghead). What's up with that? It's just cruel. I was reading on one forum the other day, and someone asked what to do about sassiness and of course several people recommended soap. Another mom posted that it didn't work for her kids. Someone posted back to her and suggested that she change from liquid soap to bar soap b/c you can really "dig in" with the bar soap, getting on their teeth, etc. I'm sorry but that's just stupid and mean.

domesticzookeeper
05-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Someone just piped up with a good word for positive parenting! :tu

I just wish I could give this woman some helpful suggestions :shrug

Katherine
05-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Yuck. Soap doesn't taste good.. trust me. :blush I only remember my Mom doing that a couple of times when I was little, but I can literally still "taste" it in my memory.. just like a very distinct smell that imprints itself in your mind. Don't remember what I did, though.. :think probably something that was construed as "talking back."

hmmm.. I've been very frustrated with my ds lately for a similar reason. Maybe I should go give him a big hug... :heart

snlmama
05-20-2005, 07:42 PM
:sick
I know more than one person IRL who does this. I tell them flat out every time they mention it that we don't do that b/c I've spent way to much time telling my son not to drink the soapy water in the bathtub to turn around and feed him soap. Talk about contradictory messages. :shrug :mad

ShowersofBlessings
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Someone just piped up with a good word for positive parenting! :)

I just wish I could give this woman some helpful suggestions :shrug

That's great! :) I remember someone here on this board (BananaBug?) offered a suggestion that she uses with her dc. She has them brush their teeth (with TOOTHPASTE) .... I was thinking that was for saying bad words, but now I think I remember that the original poster used that for when her dc was spitting.... Just a thought, maybe that might work..... :shrug

MarynMunchkins
05-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Well :lol, I tried washing Ana's mouth out with soap once. (Pre-GBD, of course ;) ) She would swear at the drop of a hat :blush, and I was tired of it. She spit on the floor, gave me a disgusted look and said, "That tastes like $%*&^."

:roll

The teeth-brushing thing is for spitting. ;) But we're dealing very much with disrespectful words right now. :( I let them know that they aren't okay and offer them a script for doing it right. If they choose to keep being rude/disrespectful, I send them to their room until they are ready to apologize and be kind. They can be angry/frustrated/upset if they want to, but I don't have to listen. :shrug

And spending a LOT more one on one time with them has helped immensely. For us, being mouthy was a replacement for saying "I need you to help me. I'm scared and lonely."

:)

4blessings
05-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Well , I tried washing Ana's mouth out with soap once. (Pre-GBD, of course ) She would swear at the drop of a hat , and I was tired of it. She spit on the floor, gave me a disgusted look and said, "That tastes like $%*&^."

ROTFL! Gotta love a spunky child!

kris10s
05-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Liquid soap made me bubble once for an hour when I was a kid. Not a great idea.

Chris3jam
05-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Liquid soap made me bubble once for an hour when I was a kid

:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

I'm SO, SO sorry! But I just had to! The mental picture. . . . . . . . were there words in your little bubbles? :laughtears :laughtears

Oh, dear, please forgive me!

SandKsmama
05-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Wow - they were having a conversation about just this thing on another board I visit as well! It was not a cat board:-) There *were* thankfully some folks who were anti-soap, but most of the anti-soap statements were pro- vinegar or hot sauce instead. ARGH! (you know, b/c those are "food" and therefore safe) Ayiyi!

Amanda

MarynMunchkins
05-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Why would you ruin a perfectly good culinary experience by forcing a child to drink vinegar or hot sauce? There goes vinegrette and Mexican food forever...:/

I went out to lunch with a mom who picked up the small packets of Tabasco sauce from the resturant and stuck them in her purse to use on her 4 year old. :wow :mad Needless to say, they somehow managed to disappeared when she went to the bathroom and left me to watch her stuff. ;)

milkmommy
05-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Liquid soap made me bubble once for an hour when I was a kid
I got into some liquid tide as a child and I remember umm vomiting bubbles and laughing at them :rolleyes :giggle

Why would you ruin a perfectly good culinary experience by forcing a child to drink vinegar or hot sauce? There goes vinegrette and Mexican food forever...confused

I went out to lunch with a mom who picked up the small packets of Tabasco sauce from the resturant and stuck them in her purse to use on her 4 year old. wow mad Needless to say, they somehow managed to disappeared when she went to the bathroom and left me to watch her stuff.
Then their is my DD who eats tobassco and Wasabi sauce like ketchup ;) :laughtears She'd be like BRING IT ON lady! :giggle
Deanna

4blessings
05-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Then their is my DD who eats tobassco and Wasabi sauce like ketchup She'd be like BRING IT ON lady!

That would have been me as a child. I also used to drink the pickle juice (vinegar) after the pickles were gone.

milkmommy
05-21-2005, 10:52 AM
I also used to drink the pickle juice (vinegar) after the pickles were gone.

When I was pregant I'd pour the juice into a bowl and dip potato chips in it :P~ :O Its amazing my DD even half way normal :giggle

Deanna

This Busy Mom
05-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I got soaped once for accidentally saying a bad word. I got a bunch of chicks for easter (we lived in town... I have no idea why mom thought this was a good idea, but I think she was drinking a lot back then) and we were putting them in the plastic cereal bowls and flying them around the dining room. My sister came in and caught us (she was 10 years older and pretty much in charge of watching over me). I told her we were just flying them around in space ships (she was mad about the bowls) and it came out space sh*ts probably because she said something about the chicks sh*tting in the bowls. She put soap in my mouth and it was pretty tramatic for me. I hated her for a long time.

Urgh... why are people so stupid about these kinds of things sometimes??

purplerose
05-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I too thinkit's mean and horrible! :td I had put hot sauce on my DD's tongue :cry once (waaaaaaaay before GD) from advice from my SIL, and it was horrible! DD cried and cried and I cried and cired!!!! :( :( I told DH NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him I didn't care how much his sister swore by it!!!! If it worked so well, why was she having to do it all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shrug

Dizzy Blond
05-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Do they soap their *own* mouths when they swear? Its only fair, right? :shrug

Embracing Grace
05-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I think it's absolutely horrendous. Just thinking about soap in my mouth makes me nausios. :sick I didn't have to experience that as a child, but it was common practice to make children kneel in a corner on a basin full of dried buckweat, (or some other, hard, small grain), with bare knees for being "bad". The grain would dig into your bare knees.... pretty painful depending on how long you have to kneel there. :sick

Katherine
05-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Yuk! That sounds very painful. :cry

My sister's 5th grade teacher at our Christian school came up with lots of "creative" (e.g. cruel) ways to discipline and humiliate. :rolleyes :mad My sister is 31 and she still has a hard time talking about that year in school. She will get teary eyed and upset just remembering how it felt. Makes me so sad and so angry.

It's amazing how much effort and thought people can put into punishments, but they can't or won't put the same time, effort, and creative thinking into other alternatives. :bheart

TulipMama
05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Soap has been implicated in causing canker sores. My understanding is that even mild soaps can harm the mucous membranes in the mouth an digestive tract.

It's very likely that mothers who think it's a clever way to address foul language may not be aware that it is physically harmful, and not simply unpleasant.

The soap/tobacco sauce thing used by Christians leaves me bewildered. After all, don't we believe it's out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks? And we need to call upon the Holy Spirit to change our heart and help us choose right actions? Cleaning the mouth with soap still leaves the heart in need of Christ's cleaning. . .