PDA

View Full Version : I am actually considering getting a wrap.

Cheyenne
05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I have always loved the idea of babywearing, but having just found this site, and having no one really around me how baby wears, I had no one to look to. I bought a sling once from the store, but it was so difficult to figure out how to make it work and be comfortable. It seemed like my baby was being swollowed up in it and it felt so loose and awkward no matter how much I adjusted it. I have also tried carrying them in front carriers and that just killed my back. I have fibro and back problems (minor scoliosis) so I eventually gave up on ever being able to find one that would work for me. Of course if my baby needed me that meant I was carrying her everywear in my arms causing my arms to hurt, or sitting and accomplishing nothing and feeling frustrated as my house fell apart. Now fastforward to now and I am reading up a bit and seeing some exciting possiblities. The options seem endless. I will keep searching previous posts, but just in case I can't find answers really tailored to my questions, I will ask them anyway.

I need a wrap that will easily allow me to carry my 10 month old dd who is at this point about 18 pounds on either my back, hip or front in the most comfortable way and easy to put her into and set it up and not too expensive. I realize that they aren't cheap, but I just don't want to buy the most expensive either. Okay, I bet there are 10 good options for all of my criteria, but I just feel like I am trying to sort through so many different kinds without enough information. I don't desire to make it myself. I would love to sew, but I would never finish it. I would rather just buy it!

Thank you,

Julie M.

sadie
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Ergo carriers are very good for the back-carry, and they are very gentle on you. :mrgreen

Also, I love my Maya wrap. You can hold your child is countless different positions. :tu The only drawback is that usually, with a Maya, it is best for an experienced person to give you a tutorial on how to use it properly.

Saphirah
05-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I think you should try looking at a ABC carrier. The wraps can be hard on your back when learning the back carries because you are leaning over to keep them on while tying. I know my back killed before I got used to tying. But I don't know what kind of uncomfortableness you are willing to put up with while learning.

Irene
05-20-2005, 08:12 PM
the Mayas come with an instructional dvd which I think really really helped me! I love my Maya's -- I also sell them ;)

Radosny Matka
05-21-2005, 08:52 PM
I have an Ultimate Baby Wrap that I absolutely love! :heart

Cheyenne
05-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. After looking at all the options, I think I want to save up to buy a Mei Tai, which seems similar to the ABC carrier. I may just see if my mom will make me an ABC one, but she is rather busy, and I didn't care for the no sew version at mamatoto's. I did buy some crinkle cotton to make a wrap to try out though. I am going to have to cut it down. I bought 4 1/4 yards, and left it at the width it was when I bought it, which was quite wide. I think it is way to much fabric. Aside from that, my very active ten month old who likes to be carried, is not too sure about this wrap thingy. She gets upset when I try to wear her. Of course this is new to both of us, but I hope she will warm up to the idea. She has no aversion to being carried every where in my arms, but my arms are getting tired. I tried, with my husband present, to put her on my back to try a back carry, and she stiffened up and fought that position. She was very insecure. I don't see how I will ever be able to get her in a back carry without another adult to help me or she will most certainly fall off my back. I really would like her to get used to it though because I feel the back carry will be the easiest for me to get things done in the house like dishes without her body keeping me too far from the sink. Well, I shall keep trying. After trying to wrap many times, that ABC carrier is looking really good right now!!! Oh well, in time.

Irene
05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
my dd never liked the back carry- same thing, I think she just felt insecure or something.
It does take some getting used to, especially for an older baby, I found that walking fast or bouncing- keeping them moving while getting them used to it helped ;) My dd was like "what are you doing to me?!" when I first started slinging :D but then she loved it :) but i had to just keep moving. I also started loose, carried her with my arms as she got used to the fabric being around her, then gradually tighten it up until she was cool with it.

KoalaMommy
05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
I love my moby wrap. I found it to be the best value in a wrap. They cost $34.95 and they can carry a child up to 35lbs. They are a stretchy cotton. I like their color choices too. I find the maya a bit bright for my tastes and it is a little more expensive. A lot of it depends on personal preference, both are quality products. The moby comes with very good and clear step by step instructions on how to wrap it.

Lois
05-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I make wraps for a business..you can pm if you are interested and I give GMC mom's a discount and mine are cheeper then most mainstream wraps anyways:)