PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to kill mint?

sarahtar
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I had a sizeable mint patch (and a chamomile plant) 2 years ago. I had a baby in April 2004. I gave up on mantiaining the gardens last year. I just didn't do anything in them. The herb garden has never had much of a weed problem, and the mint seemed to do fine, though I don't specifically remember anything about it.

We put leaves on the gardens in the fall, as per usual. I pulled the leaves off last week (it's been cold here) and there is NO mint under there. And no chamomile.

Did I manage to kill it? I thought mint was impossible to get rid of? In 2003, the mint was spreading all over. Now it's gone??

Lady TS
05-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Where are you located? I'm in OH and my mint isn't really that big yet. Maybe 4" off of the ground. So maybe the leaves have just kept the light off of it and kept it dormant longer?

I just bought chamomile this year and the tag says it's an annual. If I recall right, I think it reseeds itself though. I hope so, I want it to come back every year w/o any special care, ya know?

Gailmegan
05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
When I was growing up our house had a mint patch on the shaded side. We never did anything to encourage it, but it grew back every year. I loved to pick it and smell it. Maybe it will grow for you once the sun gets to it and things warm up more.

sarahtar
05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm in Iowa. Maybe I just need to be patient.

Also - I thought my chamomile was a perennial. But you're right, it's an annual. Mine must've just reseeded each year. At least, it was there year after year...

sarahtar
05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Ah - found this.

The needs of this plant are pretty straight forward, full to part sun and a well draining soil. The perennial chamomile (Roman) is hardy to 40 below but the annual (German) will disappear at freezing. Chamomile lawns are becoming popular using the Roman form. I haven't attempted it yet.

http://www.nothyme.com/herbs/chamomile.cfm

apbfmom
05-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I have the opposite problem. I can't get rid of my mint, and it is taking over a bed. I keep pulling it out, but to no avail. I don't want to use a chemical because it is intermingled with other plants. Any suggestions?

Thia
05-22-2005, 10:17 AM
When my parents were trying to get rid of their mint, they dug out the whole bed at least a foot down. They replaced that dirt with some fresh top soil. They did save a few plants and relocated them to a place they didn't care about that much so it could take over.

This Busy Mom
05-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Mint generally overruns everything, especially peppermint. I planted 4 types of mint in a big concrete planter last year and I need to go rescue the other mints now because the peppermint is everywhere.

My sister planted some mints at my moms 20+ years ago. My mom's still trying to get rid of it all :laughtears .