PDA

View Full Version : Is the rest of your family on board?

GodChick
05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I've been feeling called lately to make some changes in my life, some with regard to dress, and some with regard to eating habits. I am, and have been for a long time, interested in a vegitarian lifestyle. But my DH is a card-carying carnivore. ;) A real meat-and-potatos kind of guy. So, I'm wondering, do all of you have vegitarian/vegan husbands, as well? If so, were they initially on board with it, or did it take some gradual getting used to? How did you convince them to make the switch? And if they're meat-eaters, how do you make work the two different eating habits into your lifestyle? TIA for any advice you can offer! :hearts

Celeste
05-18-2005, 10:31 AM
the serving of meat around here is pretty much nonexistent. Pretty much what I did was not talk about it! I'd use meat subs in things like chili, soups, etc and now they are just used to it.

ArmsOfLove
05-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Yes, we're all on board. Though, when we first went vegan it was with dh's agreement but I made sure to tell him that I was responsible for the choices of meals in the home but he was a big boy and he could eat what he wanted when he was out and about. It took maybe 6-9 months before he realized he felt better when he ate vegan and chose to eat that way out and about too.

julbug
05-18-2005, 11:39 AM
We all made the switch at the same time after MUCH research. DH was pretty much convinced after researching but after a while of eating veg, he felt so much better & had so much more energy that he tried to convince his parents & siblings to make the change too.

Maybe your DH would agree to a trial period, eat veg for two weeks, or preferably a month. When he notices that he feels better, maybe that will do the trick. HTH Good luck!

flowermama
05-18-2005, 05:45 PM
My dh stopped eating dairy first for health reasons, then stopped, too. I finally decided to try cutting out eggs and meat, too, and liked it. At first I used to make things like spaghetti sauce and add ground beef to his portion.

Now my kids are vegan and dh eats mostly vegan at home, but eats meat for lunch at work or if we go somewhere else to eat. He thinks meat alternatives are great and raves about tvp. ;) He even likes tofu! :tu He hates beans with a passion, though. :)

He won't give up meat completely because he's one of those men who seem to think they need to eat to be a MAN! ;) He works at a lumber mill and just feels you won't find a vegetarian at a lumber mill. :shrug :smile

boonpnutsmom
05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't buy meat so it's not made at home, but I don't limit what any of them eat if you go out. I can't eat soy, eventhough I love it, but I still cook with it for them, I just don't eat what was prepared with the soy. My DH doesn't mind not eating meat, but once in awhile he will say he wants something his mom used to make, and my standard answer....."Well, when she visits us again she can make that for you" and he will ask her. They visit us about once a year or so. I grew up a vegetarian and fought it for many years, but when my health called for it, it wasn't even balked at. We have so many dietary constraints for me, that I don't push them on them, I just limit what actually comes into the house and we all feel better.

GodChick
05-19-2005, 10:23 AM
thanks,ladies. i thinkj ill try to ease us into it by starting w/ a few meatless nights a week. dh will eat whatever i cook--he may not like it, but he'll eat it. :laughtears i like what crystal said about being responsible for the home meals, but he can eat what he wants when he's away from home. :tu i may use that!! ;)

bliss
06-14-2005, 07:33 PM
NO- carnie dh and ss - I don't cook it but will buy things like cold cuts so they can make their own sandwiches. . .dh is addicted to milk and cheese and I honestly cannot see ever successfully having a vegan household.

memory maker
06-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Dh says he is willing to give our diet a chance. I have made a sample menu for the month that is food he likes, only doesnt have meat in it. I hope it goes well. it will make cooking so much easier