PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dr Sears Book

mummy2boys
05-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Okay....I have noticed that I have in my bookshelf a book by Dr Sears. Don't know how long its been there but thought I would take a look through it.

My question is this - I the part I read last night (and do you think I can find it now :shrug) he talked about spanking and didn't condone it much......I thought he was anti-spanking :shrug

Am I right or have I misunderstood?? I though on here he was supposed to be anti-spanking....I will try to find the part after as now I am trying to feed 2 4 year olds. Just curious if anyone can help.

BTW book is called "The Growing Years"

Katiebug
05-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Dr. Sears is anti-spanking, but he does give advice on *how* to spank "properly" if you're going to do it. I'm not familiar with the book you're talking about (is it pretty old?) but I know that in The Discipline Book, as well as on his website, he discusses many reasons not to spank, as well as precautions to take if you do decide to anyways (ie; not spanking out of anger, etc.) I think he's just being a realist about it, but it does kind of soften his stance a little, IMO.

mummy2boys
05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for that....I was just reading it in bed and thought "WHAT?!?!? Is this true???? Are we talking about the same Dr Sears as you mamas do on here"

Thanks for clarifying :D

erinee
05-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I have an older version of Christian Parenting where he actually seems to advocate spanking but says that it is important to have a strong parent/child attachment before you spank. I know he has said that they spanked their older kids, and it was only after their HN daughter was born that they changed their position on it. But his newer books do still offer a "better" way to spank, if you're going to do it in spite of his recommendation not to.

shilohmm
05-24-2005, 09:23 AM
I think he's just being a realist about it, but it does kind of soften his stance a little, IMO.

I agree that it sort of softens his stance. At the same time I think there are some parallels in the Bible to this sort of situation. God calls His people to marriages of One Husband with One Wife - yet in the Mosaic law He provided direction for those who have multiple wives. He warned His people that a King would be a problem, multiplying wives and taking their money, but He let them have a King. I'm not actually a big Dr. Sears fan, but I think sometimes we have to work with where people are and let them deal with the logical consequences, while encouraging them to move forward. That's what Dr Sears is doing here, IMHO.

Sheryl