PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and pregnancy

mykidsmom
05-17-2005, 08:31 AM
I've wondering for some time if or what effects antibiotics have on on the baby during pregnancy. Has anyone heard or seen anything about this?

I was VERY sick when pregnant with dd, bronchitous 4 times and pneumonia. I was put on four different antibiotics (I had tried everything naturally but I was in bad shape and the doctor was concerned my coughing would rupture her sack) and I've wondered what effects that might have on her. She got hiccups alot when I was pregnant and she does so now, too. Sometimes, like yesterday, she'll have them off and on all day. Could it have messed up the chemistry in her tummy? Antibiotics mess up our digestive system, maybe babies can be effected this way?

Just curious. :)

cobluegirl
05-17-2005, 12:48 PM
I woudl think that yes they can affect her but i don't think that anything persay causes hiccups. All my babies had them lots in utero....lol

amstermarie
05-18-2005, 03:54 PM
i have heard it can affect the baby. messing with the babys intestinal flora. i doubt it has anything to do with the hiccups, i would put her on some pro-biotics. you may be able to take some yourself and she will get it from your breast milk.
I had tried everything naturally but I was in bad shape and the doctor was concerned my coughing would rupture her sack
i had never heard of this, i hope it isnot easily possable as i believe i have pneumonia. i put in a call to my ob, after waiting several days, i always try to advoid antibiotics. but he just said he thought i had the common cold. :sad2. i always have a problem w/ dr believing me. weather it be about me or one of my kids, it seems everythign i say is nuts. well i am doing alot of coughing, sometimes so bad i wet myself. i sure hope the babys sack wont rupture... now i am scared

mykidsmom
05-18-2005, 08:00 PM
i had never heard of this, i hope it isnot easily possable as i believe i have pneumonia. i put in a call to my ob, after waiting several days, i always try to advoid antibiotics. but he just said he thought i had the common cold. :sad2. i always have a problem w/ dr believing me. weather it be about me or one of my kids, it seems everythign i say is nuts. well i am doing alot of coughing, sometimes so bad i wet myself. i sure hope the babys sack wont rupture... now i am scared

I was really sick. For so many reasons: 1. Being pregnant lowers your immune response. 2. We were in seminary and working on a VERY stressful fundrasing campaign. 3. I believe our living quarters might have had mold in the heating vents. :( It was really bad. I had healed the first three bouts of brochitous naturally but when the third one developed into pneumonia, I was in trouble. When I breathed you could hear mucous rattling around in my lungs. My OB monitored me closely. If I were you, I'd get another OB. Stress during pregnancy only makes things worse. Also, he was concerned about the coughing because I had a very forceful cough (my lungs are pretty damaged from second hand smoking throughout my childhood) and I was fairly far along in the pregnancy.

:hug Don't be scared. Pray about it and look for another OB or insist your OB listen to your lungs. It's pretty obvious when you have pneumonia. I say a prayer for you, too. :pray