PDA

View Full Version : I have made 7 diapers...

Larissa
05-16-2005, 02:17 PM
in the last few days....here are some pics. Now...keep in mind...that before last month, I had never sewn anything in my life,....so I am totally new at this but having a ton of fun!

I am making a newborn set for my next baby...(whenever that may be)

These are the cotton sherpa newborn diapers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/Larissa7/sherpadiapers.jpg

And these are made of a flannel top layer with a terry cloth inner layer and a flannel/terry hidden soaker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/Larissa7/printednewborndiapersJPG.jpg

DogwoodMama
05-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Wow! Those are really cute! :D I can't believe you had never sewn before! That's great!

kris10s
05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Those 'diapers are GORGEOUS!

:hearts

I wonder how much I would save to make sherpa newborn dipes instead of buying kissaluvs...

Saphirah
05-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Those are beautiful! Great job. Can I ask what pattern you are using?

Moon
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
They're adorable!! <drooling for a serger>

Benjaminswife
05-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Those are awesome. How did you get started? I would love to sew too but don't know where to start!

Larissa
05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
You know what???? I don't have a serger! I just did a zig zag stitch on the edges...and find that it works great!

I made my own pattern from a newborn diaper that I have on hand.

And let me just tell you.....you would save a bundle!!! I am getting about 3 1/2 diapers per yard of material....so that is about 3 1/2 diapers for about $6!!!! And I am having so much fun!

Radosny Matka
05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
:clap :clap WTG! Very cute!

milkmommy
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Thats it I so need to learn how to sew! Waht machine do you have and is it hard to learn how to use one?

Deanna

anniegirl
05-16-2005, 09:36 PM
:tu Good work! Those look great! I've been making dipes too and I'm loving it. :dance

Deanna -- My parents got me a Singer for X-mas from Target. I think they paid less than $100 for it. It's a pretty simple straight-forward machine. It works great, I haven't had any problems. For a beginner making dipes it's perfect! I didn't know how to sew either, but it's pretty easy to pick it up. I started out just hemming some cheap flannel and muslin into big squares to use as flats and kitchen towels with a zig-zag stitch. Then I slowly branched out, I made a couple contour dipes and then got brave and tried elastic. Now I'm making pocket dipes with velcro. It's really a fun hobby and so useful! A rotary cutter and a cutting mat make cutting out your pattern a lot easier too.

milkmommy
05-16-2005, 11:17 PM
:tu Good work! Those look great! I've been making dipes too and I'm loving it. :dance

Deanna -- My parents got me a Singer for X-mas from Target. I think they paid less than $100 for it. It's a pretty simple straight-forward machine. It works great, I haven't had any problems. For a beginner making dipes it's perfect! I didn't know how to sew either, but it's pretty easy to pick it up. I started out just hemming some cheap flannel and muslin into big squares to use as flats and kitchen towels with a zig-zag stitch. Then I slowly branched out, I made a couple contour dipes and then got brave and tried elastic. Now I'm making pocket dipes with velcro. It's really a fun hobby and so useful! A rotary cutter and a cutting mat make cutting out your pattern a lot easier too.

Oh I'm so gonna check out target this fall (no big buys till then :() I use wonderoos and love them but I'd love to make some for the newborn stage (wishing and hoping) and some to round off the larger size and maybe some trainers :shrug I've always wanted to learn how to sew!

Deanna

Larissa
05-17-2005, 10:34 AM
I am one that has always said...I don't want to sew...don't even want to learn....but then I got into cloth diapering...and saw how much I would save if I would just make them myself. So, dh took the plunge and bought me a sewing machine...he got it at Sears...it's a Kenmore....and I just started doing it. It was frustrating at first, but the more that I practiced the better I was getting...and the faster I am getting!!!

Now it's a totally fun hobby! I look forward to night times after the children are in bed so that I can sew!!!