PDA

View Full Version : red flag???

ServingGod
05-16-2005, 08:37 AM
Our state offers an option that allocates 2100$ per year per child for homeschooling. Dh likes it because we are going with Calvert and that is a curriculum option. They provide a computer set up for the child, curriculum and a spending account that can be used for activities. Im a little unsure about it. I know people who use it and love it....but I have my reservations. I started the enrollment...and the very last page of the packet is this:

Your permission is requested for your student to participate, if neccessary, in individual advising sessions and group activities. This time will be used to discuss ideas, behaviors, feelings, attitudes, and opinions of the student.

Because advising is based on a trusting relationship between the advocate and the student, the FES Advocate will keep the information shared in the sessions confidential except in certain situations in which there is an ethical and/or legal responsibility to limit confidentiality. In the following circumstances you will be notified.

If the student reveals information about hurting himself/herself or another person.
If the student reveals information about child abuse.
Other situations that ethically and/or legally compel disclosure.

By signing this form I give my informed consent for my student to participate in individual advising sessions and group activities. I understand that

This time will be utilized to strengthen interpersonal skills, discuss feelings, share idea, practice new behaviors, and build self-esteem.
Anything that is shared during this time will be kept confidential by the advisor except in the above –mentioned cases.

I find that weird....like Im giving the state access and control over my children.... :shrug :think :shifty

Gailmegan
05-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Hmmm...Just a technicality, but it says "requested" not "required", so maybe it isn't absolutely mandatory. Also the language says "if necessary", so I wonder how the powers that be determine necessity. Maybe you should try to get a little more information about this. I definitely would want to know more before signing anything like this.

lenswyf
05-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I would not agree to that.

Celeste
05-16-2005, 12:51 PM
I do find that a bit strange...

ArmsOfLove
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, thinking about it from a legal perspective, it's probably there to protect the program from being accused of being a cover for abuse (the whole public idea that homeschoolers keep their kids locked in closets :rolleyes). I suspect if an older child was writing papers about suicide or mass murder or other things, or a young child saying things that caused concern, they want the option of working to protect the child. This is their way of saying they won't ignore it.

Is this a K-12 program? I'm not interested in that. Though I do want the voucher thing to be explored more. I pay taxes and would like what the school district isn't getting so that I can apply it to education :)

ServingGod
05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Its http://www.ohdela.com/ In the elementary yrs they offer Calvert...thats what we are going to use.

Moon
05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't sign that. <twilight zone theme song>

phathui5
05-16-2005, 08:55 PM
"Your permission is requested for your student to participate, if neccessary, in individual advising sessions and group activities. This time will be used to discuss ideas, behaviors, feelings, attitudes, and opinions of the student. "

I wouldn't agree to have someone I don't know and trust, someone who may or may not even be a believer advising my kids, especially at such a young age. If ds or dd need to discuss feelings, etc with someone other than me, there are plenty of people at church I trust that they can talk to. Would I send them to the school guidance counselor down the street to talk about their behaviors, feelings...? No.

joandsarah77
05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
:eek :shifty :poke :read: :pray

ServingGod
05-17-2005, 05:40 AM
After reading that to dh...he has decided NO WAY!!! He just liked the idea that they would pay for the curriculum we are planning on using

This Busy Mom
05-17-2005, 06:46 AM
I pay taxes and would like what the school district isn't getting so that I can apply it to education

Yeah, but if it comes from the state, we'd have to be accountable to the state. I think a tax break would be better.

ChristineG
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
In our Province, we don't get one red cent from the government, but we also are completely autonomous. We are not required to tell anyone we are hsing, to submit our children to testing, to have homevisits or anything. We can choose whatever curriculum we want and teach whatever we want. I wouldn't trade this autonomy for anything in the world. I think with regards to hs, this saying is so true..."He who pays the piper calls the tune." :heart

Celeste
05-17-2005, 02:06 PM
It's the same here in Texas. I have no interest in dealing with anybody else at this point