PDA

View Full Version : Which is the worse?

Allison
05-15-2005, 12:12 PM
A regular Coke/Pepsi and all of the sugar that comes with it or. . .a diet drink with artificial sweeteners.
I think we can safely say that neither is good for you or has nutritional value, but if you wanted to have one 20 oz per week, which does the least damage?

milkmommy
05-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I do diet but I have I'm glucose intorrent so even one coke could be dangerous for me. I'd to should probably give it all up but Man I loove soda's my reccent thing is to keep them out of the house and only have on the ocssions we eat out (maybe twice a month :shrug) SH brought me a diet coke with lime the other day. I had to drink it ;)
I also think diets are higher in sodium not sure though? :shrug

Deanna

Soliloquy
05-15-2005, 01:27 PM
DEFINITELY go with the regular soda. If you're going to have a soda, have the sugar. Aspartame and Splenda are NOT good for you. I could go on and on and on, but I won't. You can check out www.mercola.com.

Have you tried fruit sweetened soda? We really like Knudsen Spritzers. It's fruit juice and carbonated water. Comes in grape, black cherry, tangerine, and some other flavors. It's more expensive than regular soda, but it won't hurt you because there's absolutely no refined sugars.

Btw, I really love a cold Coke or Pepsi, so I know what you mean. Since I've eliminated (most) sugar from my diet, though, drinking a full can makes me feel sick. But, once in a while it won't hurt you to splurge.

Jillian
05-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I'd definately have a regular soda. I would never ingest anything with artificial sweetners.

Mother of Sons
05-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd say regular soda also. One thing we do is to mix orange juice with club soda (or any other kind of juice) It's yum.

milkmommy
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I do want to say Regular is better in most al cases I can't have large amounts of sugar thats the ONLY reason I said diet.

Deanna

Punkie
05-15-2005, 03:54 PM
For me, I think regular is much better, but for my dad who is a diabetic, diet is better ;)

Allison
05-16-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys! I've been varying between regular and diet. I like to buy a 20 oz from the machine as I start my grocery shopping each week. Just a treat for me when I'm alone because I don't keep it in the house and I don't want to give the boys any.
Anyway, I was wondering if maybe it'd be better to ahead and have that sugar instead of the artificial sweetners. I think I got my resounding answer! LOL

RealLifeMama
05-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I agree that the splenda and aspartame should be avoided but the regular has not only regular sugar but also the HFCS, which is also supposed to be worse than regular sugar.
I would get a natural soda.

Soliloquy
05-16-2005, 05:28 AM
I do want to say Regular is better in most al cases I can't have large amounts of sugar thats the ONLY reason I said diet.

Deanna

Completely understand.

Jillian
05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Oh, I hope I didn't come across as snotty! I reread this thread, and I think I might have...

I understand other people have reasons - as mentioned, diabetes - to drink diet. I just couldn't, I get headaches almost immediately from anything with artificial sweeteners.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. I knew what I meant when I wrote it... :O

milkmommy
05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh, I hope I didn't come across as snotty! I reread this thread, and I think I might have...

I understand other people have reasons - as mentioned, diabetes - to drink diet. I just couldn't, I get headaches almost immediately from anything with artificial sweeteners.

Well I wasn't the least bit offended and I also have to be carefull many Artifical sweeteners make me ill. :sick I just read my first post aans it occured I never really answered the question so I did :iloveyou :highfive

Deanna

Singingmom
05-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys! I've been varying between regular and diet. I like to buy a 20 oz from the machine as I start my grocery shopping each week. Just a treat for me when I'm alone because I don't keep it in the house and I don't want to give the boys any.
Anyway, I was wondering if maybe it'd be better to ahead and have that sugar instead of the artificial sweetners. I think I got my resounding answer! LOL

An entire 20 oz in one sitting might be too much sugar, but if it's a weekly treat and you divide it up, it sounds to me like you've got a good thing going. :)

I don't think you sounded snotty, Jill! You were just stating your opinion. We do a lot of that around here! :hug

sarahandmadelinesm
05-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I vote regular, too--I'd rather have the sugar, I guess-though a lot of sodas have HFCS, which I absolutely try to avaoid whenever possible!
I usually pick up some cans of soda at the HFS (we don't drink a lot, and these are "special" treats--I like the Reeds ginger ale (with real ginger, fruit juice sweetened), blue sky organic sodas, and an organic handcrafted dark vanilla soda that is to die for (organic cane juice sweetened). We are in the south, so most of our daily drinks are stevia sweetened iced tea:)
I really though the health food store sodas were pricey, til I checked some other things out (my dh buys soda and arizona iced tea by the bottle, as I won't have it in the house:) Reeds ginger ale is 1.25, blue sky organics are .89, and the vanilla soda is 1.59--a pepsi here is .99 and an arizone iced tea is .99-1.29, so they are roughly the same price...