PDA

View Full Version : MOTH and Charlotte MAson

quiverful_mama
05-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Hello! I'm new here and have a couple questions. Has anyone here used Managers of Their Homes by Steve & Teri Maxwell? I'm looking for a copy of this book that still has all the forms and the registration card.

Also, I was homeschooled from the middle of 7th grade through high school. I've known ever since then that I wanted to homeschool my own children. Well, my oldest is almost 3 and I've been looking into different stlyes of teaching/learning. Charlotte Mason really appeals to me, at least what I know of her method so far. I have the series of books by her that have been reprinted by the Andreolas. I've just started Volume 1. Can anyone gives me a little more info about this approach to learning?

Thanks so much!

Leslie
05-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I haven't used MOTH, but I've heard good things about it.

For information about Charlotte Mason, you might start here:
http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml#02cm

PrincessMommie
05-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi there,

I have used MOTH...it was about 5 years ago so I may be a little 'rusty' but feel free to ask any questions. I noticed in your sig line blinkies that your boys are young so I'll direct you to a nice list for CM moms with young kids. :)
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/AmbleSide_Year0

SandKsmama
05-12-2005, 09:22 PM
have you tried Ebay or Vegsource.com for a copy of MOTH? I have one, but it's used. I did use MOTH for a while, and was even a very very active member of the boards there for 3 years or so. I think MOTH can be a great tool - just ignore the foolish baby scheduling nonsense.

hth!
Amanda

quiverful_mama
05-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the help so far, ladies! I'll check out the links you gave me.

Amanda, I'll be sure to ignore the baby scheduling part of the book. I know of several others who are interested in the book that may not mind it being used. If you ever find one, I'd be interested in passing it on to one of them.

Thanks,

Quietspirit
05-13-2005, 05:08 AM
I've used MOTH off and on. I really like the concept of planning a routine with the Lord's guidance. It was very helpful to me to "see" my day in hour/half hour blocks.

PrincessMommie
05-13-2005, 06:17 AM
DEFINATELY ignore the baby and child rearing junk. ;)

Ah yes! I had forgotten about 'that' part....I just skipped over it. ;)

ChristineG
05-13-2005, 08:47 AM
I've used it and benefitted greatly from it. I think it is a great tool, as long as you don't get sucked into their whole legalism philosophy, which really isn't evident in this book, but very evident if you visit their website message board. I got sucked into it for awhile. Poor kiddies. I think I'll go put someone in the baby carrier. :heart

quiverful_mama
05-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Christine,

Could you explain to me what it is that they are legalistic about? I've not really looked much at their site.

Thanks,

Wndwmn
05-13-2005, 11:55 AM
This book is really good about getting you to pray about your priorities and then put them into practice. For example, it is a priority for me to play with my baby and read him a book, but if I don't schedule a time for it I might not get around to it since I am hs a 1st grader and have a preschooler. I also might not have planned for things like exercise, craft time, gardening/outside time.

It helped me add some activities with the kids that I wanted to do, but never got to like baking, gross motor skills, nature walks, music. It helped me to schedule some times for one of the older children to play with the baby and teach them how to play with them gently. You can schedule a "training time" which is supposed to be a proactive time where you teach them things like how to answer the phone or how to act when you are on the phone.

This book has been really helpful to me for concentrating on what I really want to get done instead of puttering around the house all day. Ok, some days I still do that :mrgreen.

Wendy

ChristineG
05-13-2005, 06:04 PM
They have extremely tight controls on what is allowed to be posted and what is not on their message board. For example, if you post that you believe that the Bible does not teach that women should wear dresses only all the time, it will be screened and not posted. Also, if you mention, casually, that your child attends school, instead of being homeschooled or that you use birth control (including natural family planning), this will be edited out of your post. These are only a couple of small examples from a whole host I could give you. I don't really want to get into a big, judgemental discussion of it on here, as I believe that many of the women there are very sweet and doing what they believe is best for their families and find it very hurtful to be criticized openly. When I decided that this was definitely not the place for me, I just left If you want to learn more, I suggest poking around their site. However, take note that you will see nothing (and I mean NOTHING) that they don't want posted. I had several posts 'edited' which I believe ended up misrepresenting me.

I think that their book, Managers of Their Homes, is very helpful for many women and these ideas really don't come across in the book. :heart

Quietspirit
05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
The message boards are actually closed now so the website is mainly information on ordering their products.

quiverful_mama
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I was just there the other day and I thought I saw their message boards. It used to be open to the public but now you have to have a registered book to participate in the forums.