PDA

View Full Version : dog runs away when called

ArmsOfLove
05-12-2005, 03:46 PM
she's driving me crazy :banghead And it wouldn't be a big deal but she keeps getting out of the yard :rolleyes

Today I got her because she will obey the sit command and then I can grab her, but when I call her name she runs the other way.

I know how to train a dog--but she never got the "come" down and now with her running the OPPOSITE direction I'm just not sure what to do :shrug a

Any ideas?

Mother of Sons
05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Here is a link I just found.

http://www.perfectpaws.com/recall.html

righteous mama
05-12-2005, 04:00 PM
:laughtears

I realize I'm not supposed to be laughing but... :laughtears

My sister's dog just started doing this. She's very disobedient in her old age.

ArmsOfLove
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
thanks MOS--that's just what I needed. Unfortunately, I don't have time to be actively training right now :banghead Ironically, this *is* what we did with our puppies and when I talked to dh about it here's the reality:

Ellie won't come to me but comes to him
Lickers won't come to dh but comes to me

:laughtears

and for now I guess I'll have to leash her when I take her out to potty :rolleyes

Mother of Sons
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Our dog comes when called really great if we are in the house. In fact she comes when you call the cat! (jealous thing!)

If she's outside though she rarely comes when called. We have to open and shut the screen door several times. If we do that, she thinks we are going inside and leaving her out there alone and she hates that so she comes running.

Ali
05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
One idea was one we got from a hunting dog trainer. His approach was to teach "down from a distance". It was a big expressive hand gesture (raising your hand above your head and waving it down). Of course you had to catch your dog looking at you to do it. The idea was that they obey the down command and stay so you can then approach them. I guess it's useful for hunting dogs. Anyway, I know you start out teaching the dog on the leash, then a longer leash, etc and work your way up. Just another idea, but would also take some time!
Another idea is sort of a Pavlov's dog thing. You condition(love that word) your dog to know he gets a really good treat (what ever it is that he REALLY loves) when ever you ring a certain bell, or blow a whistle etc. You only ever use the bell or whistle when you are going to give the treat. After you condition for a while (weeks?), you can then use the bell to call your dog. You have to keep up the conditioning up, so the dog doesn't start to think that the bell means nothing.
We actually did this with our cat, believe it or not. She always came running.

This Busy Mom
05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
We have a dog trolley in our back yard. I'd like it better if I could unlatch the dog right at the door... which would also teach them to come, I think... if the dog wants in... it has to come to the door :P~ . Our neighbors have a shorter lead that she can clip and unclip inside the door, but then they have piles of poop out there, too. :sick . That would be a pain until everyone learns (probably the hard way) to avoid the area.

ServingGod
05-21-2005, 05:03 PM
hmmm...sounds to me that you have a canine conspiracy on your hands..... :grin