PDA

View Full Version : How often do you vaccum and.....

AKCristyMJ
05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Just wondering.

I'll be brave and first admit I do it usually once week, every Friday morn.
If company is coming (which is uh like never!) I'll do it, or maybe after a bad spill if it can't be put off.
Yes I'm a bad procrastinator and hate housework. :blush :blush

We want a new vacuum clean so my main question here is infact WHAT vaccum cleaner do YOU use and why do you love or hate it????

IF you hate you vacuum cleaner, what kind do you recommend instead??
I have an average plastic Hoover that is oh bout 5 or more years old.
I HATE IT!!

better yet if you can take a pic of yours and/or your dream one, or get a link to one that'd be real helpfull!!
Thanx!

ArmsOfLove
05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I put once a week or more depending. It's *at least* once a week.

I guess my question is how much are you looking to spend on a vaccuum cleaner? ours was a WalMart purchase and it's okay for a low end, but there are some I'd love to have ;)

MarynMunchkins
05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I vacuum everyday. :)

Charlie U
05-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Either dh or I vaccum every day. Usually not the same room. Our living room would be too crusty. I have to see what kind of vaccum we have. Can't remember. I love it, though.

tiglet
05-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I just don't ever feel like vacuuming. I don't think a different vacuum would help any. :shrug
Lucky for me, most of our house is non-carpeted! I love Swiffering!

SingingPraise
05-12-2005, 06:08 PM
every 2-3 days depending on how much grass the kids bring in on their butts after running thru the sprinkers, if my dogs find anything dead to bring in and chew on the carpet, if my dh gives the kids crackers/popcorn etc on the couch in the living room etc...

If no one spills anything I vaccuum twice a week cuz of dog hair and general little thingys on the floor.
But usually something happens every two days. lol

2sunshines
05-12-2005, 06:09 PM
We have a typical hoover too. We want a dyson. I've heard wonderful things about them but they are pretty pricey so we'll see if we ever actually get one...

poetmom
05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
I vacuum every day. We have a Eureka, but I want a Dyson AND a steam cleaner. Hopefully next year!!!

BeckaBlue
05-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I put "When I can't stand it no more! (or company is coming ;))" BUT in my defense, it usually ends up being every day, though i haven't done it yet today :sick somethin about crumbs on the carpet i jsut can't handle it :shrug

we got a kenmore cheapy, got it for my bday a couple yrs ago, lol! we had a eureka bagless thingy, the cheapy stick type, lol! we couldn't afford more than that so it just had to be good enoguh, im happily using the kenmore, better than nothing!!!

AKCristyMJ
05-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Alright hmmm.

Ok work with me....
So do you have an upright?
Can you show me a link to a reasonable one you like or own and like??
Try www.jcpenney.com or www.sears.com or www.walmart.com, we will likely look at all 3 stores Sunday.

Yeah those Dyson, dang, they even make a newer Dyson that is on this big rotating ball, so it is super easy to manever! :hearts

Whatta think of the hmm whats it called, Oreck? That weighs like 8lbs??
Or the hmmm Dirt Devil :shrug that easily seperates into lotsa parts??

Sheesh I just dunno!
Need more pointers, but I like the replies so far.......remember you can vote up to 5times incase more that one fits. Like on average you do this but also this sometimes?
LOL
No biggie.
:O

Earthylady
05-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I voted once a week or more. It's usually every couple of days...sometimes every day.

We have one of those Bissell Baglass ones. We just bought it at a post Christmas sale. I LOVE IT!!!! :heart
It's a version of this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2645477

Mandy

ArmsOfLove
05-12-2005, 10:13 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2645477&cat=12787&type=1&dept=4044&path=0%3A4044%3A4047%3A12787 that's the one we have. I do like it. I like it better again now that I washed the filter yesterday :rolleyes

I *WANT* an Oreck!

PrincessMommie
05-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I vaccuum twice per week....I have a rainbow vaccuum.

I used to have an Orek and I really didn't like it. :shrug

ArmsOfLove
05-12-2005, 10:30 PM
used to have an Orek and I really didn't like it. Really??? Why? Tell me, please, before I spend the money :)

joystrength
05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Rainbow. Love the effects (especially since you can add a "fragrance to the water). Don't like the fact that it's big and a bit bulky. It cleans the air (LIKE THAT!) and makes the pile of the carpet stand up, something our "regular" one doesn't.
HTH

milkmommy
05-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I vaccuum a few times a week just depends.
Crystal we also have the Bissel powerforce from Walmart even :lol and I like it.
My parents have an orek and have for a number of years and they and I really love it. :mrgreen

Deanna

TulipMama
05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
In Kyiv, I had to vacuum daily to keep my sanity and the grime at bay. I occasionally skipped a day or two--but really noticed it. Occasionally I vacuumed 2-3 times a day (right before company!)

In our new place. . . Well. . . I've swept a little. Need to buy vacuum cleaner bags. (Forgot we put our vacuum in storage--hooray, one less thing we need to buy!) Hubby's probably going to be on sweeping/mopping patrol. He's so much more thorough and efficient with that.

Mamaka
05-13-2005, 11:08 AM
2x a week or more (if company is coming).

Have a Hoover Windtunnel (one of the pricey ones) and it's ok. I want a dyson!!!

findingjoy
05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
I have a Shark Lightweight Upright Vacuum
http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1879192

I really like it for the amount we paid ($80 at our local Lowe's). It picks up dirt, fuzz, etc. like crazy! It's very lightweight and bagless. The only bad thing is the screen gets clogged fairly often, so I have to stop and clean it off. It's not a big deal to me right now because we have a tiny house. I'm always excited when I empty the cup though to see how much stuff it picks up. A little light comes on that lets you know you need to stop and empty. It also has a HEPA filter.

Someday I'd like a more expensive vac, but this one is great for us for now.

RealLifeMama
05-16-2005, 08:59 AM
I have a 6 yo Fantom, and a who-knows how old don't know what kind it is that someone handed down to us.
Both are on their last legs and neither work too well.
One is bagless, one is with a bag.
We'd love a dyson, or a Kirby, or since I lose stuff a lot in the vacuum, a rainbow. but I guess we will probably get a handed down one again.
I vacuum downstairs once a week, then the living room a couple more times, and upstairs, when we can't stand it. We are hardly upstairs.

asher
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
We have a Hoover WindTunnel & I :heart it! It really cleans well. I clean twice, particularly under the dining room table w/ DS dropping all kinds of goodies. Sometimes I use a Dust Buster (or HE uses it if he's made a mess aside from the typical under the dining room table stuff). I :heart the Dust Buster b/c I can suck up buggies w/o touching them, then spray it out w/ vinegar to clean it! We thought about the Dyson, but it's so expensive & Consumer Reports wasn't so impressed w/ it. We're happy w/ our Hoover.

Tina

TulipMama
05-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Rene, I hate the sound of the vacuum cleaner, too. And hairdryers. It wasn't until well into adulthood that I could really tolerate them. (In fact, I finally bought a hairdryer about 6 months ago--still only use it sporadically. . .) My second son really hates the vacuum cleaner noise, too. Anyway, all this to say, it makes me feel good to see you so sensitive to your son. I think the noise/overstimulation is an "issue" for some of us. . .

kris10s
05-18-2005, 06:43 AM
We have a Dyson and I vaccuum 2 or more times a week, when it needs it!

Mama23QTs
05-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I voted we have no carpet. I sweep and mop every day. Everything shows on our floor. We do have the little canister Oreck that is great for vacuuming around the baseboard and corners. My grandpa had the upright Oreck and I really didn't like the way it cleaned. It was really lightweight, but I think other vacuums have better suction.

Allison
05-18-2005, 06:03 PM
A few times a week. Depending on the room, though. The den has been vaccuumed yesterday and today, though it's only my schedule for MWF (it didn't need it on Monday). Sometimes it's everyday in there because it's high traffic. The bedrooms are twice a week and the living room sees little traffic so it's once or twice a week.

boonpnutsmom
05-18-2005, 06:42 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/kitchen/B0000638TH/qid=1116466671/sr=2-4/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_4/102-4114799-5954514

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000638TH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think this is it...???

aahree
05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I have a Dyson, but I almost never vacuum. DH does it for me, because I have severe allergies. The Dyson makes it so I can be in the house when it is vacuumed. I used to have to leave for several hours whenever DH vacuumed. And I can actually vacuum myself with the Dyson, but DH is so accustomed to doing it, he still does it. :) I wish I had the one on the ball, though. That looks so neat! Mine is the Dyson Full Kit, and I got it for a pretty good deal at Costco, in case you're looking for one!

milkmommy
05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
RENE my nephew is the same and my borther invested in one of these http://www.electroluxusa.com/node35.asp?ProdID=26369 from sears for around $300 and said it was one of the best investments they actually had a dyson but it was too loud and would iritate both his son and the baby something fierce. Luckily weres able to trade it in for the Harmony. You can hear the vaccum ofn the link I provided its a little louder on the higest setting but even that's pretty quiet.

Deanna

mylittlemen
05-27-2005, 01:42 AM
If you are looking for something cheap, the low-end Bissel from Walmart does a fine job for us. (It's a soft body with a bag inside). We used to use one at the outdoor theater I worked at - vacuumed the entire place every day all summer long, and that vacuum kept going and going... That's why I bought one. It is kinda loud, though. I also try to get the kids elsewhere before I vacuum. Somehow I ended up teaching my 3-year old to run screaming (in fun) whenever I vacuum. He gets in front of me and almost gets sucked up! LOL