PDA

View Full Version : Want to start CDing...Need Help!

ChibiBug
05-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I am ordering 1 diaper to try...any suggestions? I have been looking at the Kissaluvs Fitted. I read that pocket diapers are easiest for beginners..what is the difference between a pocket diaper and a fitted diaper? FB are way too expensive for me to be able to afford...I have heard high ratings on these, but I don't want to try one and find that I LOVE them but can't afford them...KWIM? Is the Kissaluvs comparable? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

canadiyank
05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Great! I love cloth diapering and hope I can be of some help.

Now, FB is a pocket diaper that is an AIO (all in one)...you basically make a diaper sandwich with it, by stuffing the absorbent layers inside it. The FB itself is just a holder, if that makes sense...you have to buy the "stuffers," either specially-made pocket stuffers or prefolds, or your own found things like old t-shirts and whatnot. If you buy a FB you need stuffers, too.

A Kissaluvs is what is called a fitted diaper. It snaps on and then needs a cover over top of that. If you buy one you need to buy a cover, too. I am not particularly fond of them as I do not find them terribly absorbent and they have an extremely low rise so you get a lot of baby butt crack. :cool

If you're looking for economical ways to try things, try the swap and shop here. You'll be able to slowly build a stash by trying them used. Everybody likes something different...although I agree that pockets are easiest for beginners b/c they are the most like sposies and simple to put on. Check out www.diaperware.com as she has some nice package deals and a ton of different examples.

There definitely is a learning curve when you start...but you will learn how often to change, your wash system, etc. I know there is a lot of info out there, so keep asking questions! :)

milkmommy
05-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Welcome to our world :mrgreen
okay a fitted is a diaper that will require a seperate cover.
Types I like
1) Wondroos! My favorite these are a pocket diaper BUT they area one size I got my first when DD was about 6 months and I eventually got a full stash (18) She is now 30 months and these still fit (and they could have fit smaller than 6 months) If I had bought all 18 new it would have cost me $240 for my stash that would have pretty much been all I needed from birth on.
2) indian prefolds these are cheep easy classics of diapers but still VERY reliable. I also use these as changing pads, baack up diapers, burp rags, nursing cover ups tons of uses I reccomed at least a dozen you'll be glad you have them
3) Prorap AIOs there is nothing "pretty" about these they are white and boring but at about $9 a diaper they are a cost saving choice and excellent for the baby sitter grandma
4)Mother ease one size simple easy and will also fit the bulk of diapering age (will require a cover)
5) tiny tots fitted (simple cheep does the job)

Covers (I use pockets but have tested many covers here are my favorite in order)
1) Mother ease Air flows (very reliable!)
2) Diaperaps cotton blend (soft leak proof and great with a prefold)
3) wool soaker I unless your allergic everyone should have one I have a woolly bottom payed $16 dd was 4 months when I got it it fit beautifully then and it STILL fits now!
4) dappi their cheep nothing special but very reliable and sometimes leak prrof just wins over "look"

On a personal note I think kissaluvs are "nice" and I recently tried to score some for some back ups but they just are NO assorbent enough, I didn't like how my baby felt soo wet with them, like she was wearing a wet towel. wouldn't want an entire stash of them.

From the hubby
his favorites are hands down the wonderoos they are trim easy to use and ecconmical, next are the tiny tots woth a ME air flow cover he likes the quickness of the velcro and the nice wide cut of the cover ont a lot of extra tucking to bother with. He won't pin if his life depended on it.

Deanna

KoalaMommy
05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
A fitted dipe needs a cover. A pocket dipe is a cover in which you put an insert to hold the wetness. You can use a regular prefold diaper as an insert, you don't need to buy the expensive kind.

I LOVE my wonderoos! I chose them over Fuzzibunz because they are one size fits all. Same price, but you don't have to buy 3 different sizes.

Fitted dipes are overrated if you ask me. I have great success with prefolds and snappis in a cover. I do have some one size fits all fitteds that I use from time to time, but not a lot. They are not worth the money!

Cloth is super easy to use. I don't get the hesitation people have because of all the "work". I never have to run to the store late at night for diapers and we don't have to take out 20 loads of trash a week.

milkmommy
05-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Oh heres how I started on my wonderoo swiching journey. I bought one (actually I didn't even know its what I had untill I got some more from a momma on GCM :O)
Anyways I bought I believe two off a momma here and I had two dozen standard size prefolds. I used the Wonderoos at night stuffed with a prefold and a gerber flat diaper. I then got two more from her and place an order for 6. bringing my total to 10 diapers too make things last I'd trifold a prefold and lay on top of the cover during the daytime and just changed the insert so I could reuse the cover. I stuffed for night time naps and outtings. I then bought three at a time till I had 18 diapers which for me is a 2 or 3 day supply. Ans I could use them as pockets full time. I also found I liked the microfiber towel that came with them better so now my stash is 18 wonderoos stuffed with a microfiber towel. LOVE it! And didn't break the bank doing so

Deanna

ChibiBug
05-12-2005, 10:55 AM
So really, it's IS cheaper to by the FB or the wonderoos because you don't have the cost of a cover...right?

I am really really confussed about "stuffing"...so you stuff your diapers with pre-folds or inserts and THAT is what you change when your baby wets...not the diaper itself??? What are the steps you take when they poopy..do you just rinse it down the tub or what?? OHHHHH I am sooo confused but I REALLY want to make this work!

milkmommy
05-12-2005, 11:51 AM
So really, it's IS cheaper to by the FB or the wonderoos because you don't have the cost of a cover...right?

I am really really confussed about "stuffing"...so you stuff your diapers with pre-folds or inserts and THAT is what you change when your baby wets...not the diaper itself??? What are the steps you take when they poopy..do you just rinse it down the tub or what?? OHHHHH I am sooo confused but I REALLY want to make this work!

Wonderoos are your cheepest pocket option they fit most from 8-35lbs (best I'd say after 12lbs) You will need at least two sizes for the fuzzy bunz many need three.
When you use a pocket diaper in the way it was intended you change the entire thing insert diaper and all
I was able to reuse the covers when I was building my stash because I just layed a diaper on top and used it like a cover. When I stuffed it I tossed it all in the laundry.

The chepest CD option are flats wih snappi or pins and pull on covers like dappis this can be done but welll like you I like ease and a touch of cute color ;) You could CD for arond $80 doing this many do but again I think its worth it to spend a bit moreto have a better system

Next are prefolds with wrap type covers I think 4 covers is a good amount to have 2 to rotate one in case of a messy diaper and one for the diaper bag. A popular cover are the Bummi SWW If you just bought 4 covers in three sizes ans two dozen of both infant and premium diapers it would run around $200, you'd probably still want some doublers and a diffrent cover fo night.

Fitted with covers can be once of most expensive a good fitted may cost around $8 and I'd still reccomed 4 covers so lets say you have 18 fitted and 4 covers will be around $180ish but if you buy mulisize you'll need to buy this at least two more times putting cost around $540

One size pocket diaper system (wonderoos) $240 for 18 diapers

One size fitted $180 for the diapers (18) but will still require you buy new covers so about $300

Multi size pockets or AIO's can be the most expensive At $15 a diaper 18 pockets or AIOs in three sizes $810

The above are just examples diffrents brands sale etc can result in diffrent amounts

Deanna

canadiyank
05-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Not exactly...you only need 4-6 covers if you use prefolds and/or fitteds..you can rotate them and let them air dry in between use, you only have to wash once a week or so or when they get poopies on them. I use only wool and only wash when poopy.

Don't worry, you'll be able to make it work! There's a bit of a learning curve but it's really not that tough once you find a system. :)

Personally, I change the whole pocket dipe...some people re-use them but I wouldn't b/c the fleece layer is covered in urine. For any dipes (pockets, fitteds, whatever) if it's bf poo I just throw it in the pail and do a pre-wash when I wash; for solid poo I put it in the toilet and do a pre-wash. I don't dunk or use a sprayer or whatnot but some people do. But I don't care about stains, either, lol, I just do what's easiest.

Keep asking questions! :) :cup

Larissa
05-13-2005, 10:35 AM
It really is overwhelming to get started. There are so many options out there! And I think that you will find that everyone you ask will have a different preference. I noticed above that someone posted that fitteds aren't worth the money. For me...my fitted diapers that I use with a cover are my absolute favorites. The fitteds that I have are super absorbant, and work wonderfully for me. I also have pocket diapers...fuzzibunz, actually....and I use those only for nighttime diapering and I like those too. So, really it's a matter of buying some diapers and figuring out what is going to work best for you.
I also want to mention...just in case there is any confusion....that the Fuzzibunz pocket diapers...wonderoos, etc....are a one use diaper. Once it's wet, you take it off and put a new diaper on...and then wash them. You can't keep reusing the pockets like you can reuse covers.

milkmommy
05-13-2005, 11:12 AM
One thing I HUGHLY reccomend is get a sample package of all diffrent types of diapers what one person swears by andother dislikes ;) Many others like a good variety even in their perment stash I did that for the longest time. Prefolds velcro covers at home, fitted with pull on covers for dad, AIOs for outtings/sitter and pockets for night and naptime. :lol T his variety is quite common and gives some fun in CD also.
I LOVE the sampler package from Lil bunz their is a good varity of diapers to try out. and really give CD a try you woould get 10 diapers 3 cover choices three diffrent inserts to try etc its a good days worth of diapers to try from something like this you could pick what works best for you then add on. Diapers that you dislike if any can be resold on the FSOT. HTH
Try it out Pack (from Lil bunz)

3 Chinese Prefolds
1 Hemperoo Fleece Prefold
1 Kissaluvs Fitted
1 Kissaluvs Contour
1 Snappi Fitted Diaper
1 Snappi Fastener
1 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap
1 Green Earth Cover
1 Bumpy Day Cover
1 Wonderoo
1 White Fuzzi Bunz