PDA

View Full Version : using bean flour?

Iarwain
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I have heard many times that you can make instant refried beans from bean flour. Does anyone know how this is done? Do you just add boiling water? Or do you need to cook it for a few minutes? And what proportions?

I tried it last night when we ran out of refried beans. I milled some beans in my kitchen mill real quick and then put them in boiling water and cooked them for a few minutes. They were edible but they stuck to the pan really bad and I'm not at all sure I used the right amount of water. I used two cups of water and one cup of bean flour.

Anyone? Any more recipes and ideas for what to do with bean flour are welcome as well.

ArmsOfLove
05-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Hmmm I've never heard of that.

I use bean flour in my gluten free breads :)

lumpofclay
05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
:nak

from natural meals in minutes

5-minute 3-bean dip

1/4 c ea. black bean flour, pinto bean flour, kidney bean flour
1/4 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
2 1/2 c warm water
3/4 t. salt
1/2 c picante sauce

Whisk dry ingredients into warm water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir until mixture boils, then reduce heat and cover pan. Cook an additional 4 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat. Add picante sauce. Serve hot or cold. This recipe makes a great burrito filling.

IIRC: When I made it, I left out the picante sauce, and it was good. I think we used it as a dip, but would certainly work for burritos. HTH.

ArmsOfLove
05-12-2005, 11:09 AM
thanks, Jessica--I'll have to try that :)

lumpofclay
05-12-2005, 11:33 AM
:nak

it's pretty good. i'm sure it could be used/adapted in many different ways.

Iarwain
05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks that sounds great! I am sure I can use and or adapt that now that I've got approximate proportions and cooking time. I think I'll try it with some of the taco seasoning mix I get from my co-op. I knew someone here would be able to help me! :)

And if this works as well as I hope I may start to phase out the canned beans since dry are so much cheaper especially for organic.

OT but I'd be lost without my grain mill. Really. I don't know how I ever lived without it...