PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have horses?

PrincessMommie
05-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Just curious!

I have a gorgeous Tennesee Walker, he is 5 years old and I just LOVE him to death...

Sanveann
05-12-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm so jealous! I just love horses ... though I'm an Arabian girl, myself :)

erinee
05-12-2005, 07:21 AM
You have NO IDEA how badly I want a horse!!!!!! It's my lifelong dream.

Someday...... :pray

righteous mama
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes, I have a horse. Her name is Mary and she's almost six. :laughtears Can you believe I gave birth to a horse? In fact, as I'm reading this post, she is in the hallway sobbing because her cousins won't play horse with her. :spit

PrincessMommie
05-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Her name is Mary and she's almost six. :laughtears

Cute, well my Lion is almost 6 too. ;)

Sanveann, Arab's are pretty....*but* for comfort of ride, I highly prefer the gaited horse....so Walkers it is....my particular walker is a very rare color so not the choice of black or brown as it usually is. ;)

Erin, I too wanted a horse SO baaaad all through my girlhood, teens....right on up!
I got my very first horse 2.5 yrs ago...he was a gorgeous black guy, 17 hands...and had just been gelded a year previous...ummm yeah so he *thought* he was still Mr. Stallion. :) Anyway I took a fall, broken bones, pregnant etc....well needless to say I've had a different one now for the past 2 yrs. :laughtears

Close2MyHeart
05-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Yes, I have a horse. Her name is Mary and she's almost six. :laughtears Can you believe I gave birth to a horse? In fact, as I'm reading this post, she is in the hallway sobbing because her cousins won't play horse with her. :spit

:spit :lol that ws me as a child!! he he he

LadyBird
05-17-2005, 12:44 AM
We have five horses. Rootbeer is a Palomino gelding, 26 years old. Chester is a chocolate Quarter Horse, 5 yrs old; Belle is also a Palomino mare, around 10 years old and she had a filly last year and we have her too...she is now a year old and still doesn't have a name! But sooo cute! And finally Festus...he is our chocolate 3yr old stud. We will breed to him this year with a horse from a friend of ours. Other than that, my husbands parents live about a mile away and they have around 45 horses. I know...a bit overboard! They are going to be selling a bunch of them though. I am working on getting the website up for them to sell them. I love horses. I think if you love them, you just have to position yourself into being around them somehow. It makes so much difference in my life! Also it is so much fun watching DD with them. She adores horses! Just like her daddy:-)

kiloyd
05-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Yes, we have one horse. Bubby he's a chestnut QH/saddlebred, he's 16 yrs. We bought him a year ago, he is our shared horse now. I can't believe it, DH likes to ride now. Bubby is supposed to be his horse, but I say we only have one, so he is ours.

I had two horses in HS and college. I leased and then sold one while in college then had to put my other one down after he was not healing well after foundering , he was 21 and my love!

Whenever we get this house sold and find land we will get anther horse. Right now our friend keeps our horse.

Katherine

arwen
05-22-2005, 08:06 PM
i wish! :pray

45 horses?! how in the world do they afford it! wow!

newdawn
05-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Her name is Mary and she's almost six. :laughtears

Cute, well my Lion is almost 6 too. ;)

We have a monkey! :mrgreen He's 13 1/2 months =). He thinks Mommy's the monkey-gym, though, and never climbs on Daddy :/.

joyfulmomof2
05-31-2005, 08:08 AM
I had a horse for many years when I was younger. I love love love horses and hope to have them again someday. My dh and ds love them too. It is our plan to have one someday - preferrable one each. lol Right now we live in a small town in the middle of Missouri and just outside of this town are many many horse farms. So ds and I go and see the horses as often as possible nearby. On Saturday, one came walking down the street. :grin As far as my favorite breeds, I am not sure I have one. But I have always loved Palomino horses. And I think generally they are Quarter Horses. Our horse was a Thoroughbred. I have ridden, Quarter Horses, Thoroughbreds, 1/2 and 1/2 mix of those two, Tennessee Walkers, Morgan Horses, an Arabian mix, and even a Clydesdale. :) I guess my preference is simply a gentle horse with a ton of heart! :)

LadyBird
06-01-2005, 12:11 PM
well, we personally only have five...and 4 cows...right now we have four of the horses on a pasture that belongs to a friend of mine...we don't have to pay pasture rent, but will help them out if they ever need it. We can borrow one of their big hay trailers to put round bales on, and that is about all they need...I get them salt blocks, and mineral blocks....Tim trims their hooves every 6-8 weeks or so. They don't need shoes in the pasture. So that costs us all in all about 120 for two big round bales that we hope will last a couple of months. I am guestimating that for all of our horses and cows we spend about 200 a month to keep them up not including vet costs...but that is usually only worming, vaccinations etc....and that isn't all that often...and they rarely get sick or get hurt....and if they do, then Tim usually doctors them.
so I guess if you can find some good pasture to put them on that is fenced in you're set. If we had enough rain up here we probably wouldn't have to hay them. But we are feeding them alfalfa hay right now. sorry, started rambling lol