PDA

View Full Version : My washing machine has me frustrated!

ServantofGod
05-11-2005, 12:01 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I've been thinking about giving uo CD! :eek :doh

I have a very nice new washing machine, everything automatic. But that's the trouble! I can't adjust the water level. I can't adjust the soak time. My covers, especially, and sometimes my dipes are coming out stinkin'. and that is with 3 different cycles! :shrug Some days, my washing machine is tied up with dips all day long, because of all the cycles I have to put it though. :banghead

Any tips? I feel like the waste of water and time is making me seriously reconsider CD!

GrowingInGrace
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
eek! is it a front-loading or HE by any chance? I've heard of problems with those. :(

Can you select the water temp and cycle length? If so I'd go for hot all the way and at least 2 rinses if not 3.

ServantofGod
05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
It's top-loading; it's a whirlpool calypso.

I can set it for "Quick wash" for short washes, I usually start with this on cold. Then, I choose "heavy-duty" on hot. Oh, and I can add a "soak" and/or "extra rinse" to any cycle. So, I usually add a soak to the quick wash, then add an extra rinse to the heavy duty wash, THEN run another quick wash with no detergent, with an extra rinse! And still this problem! :hissyfit

GrowingInGrace
05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
have you tried doing 3 or 4 hot "heavy duty" cycles with nothing at all? That can help get rid of all the detergent residue (which is what makes the smell).

milkmommy
05-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I finially broke down and bought some Allens I will NEVER go back!

Deanna

canadiyank
05-11-2005, 11:30 PM
First I'd try hot wash and see if there's bubbles there (you probably will)...likely you'll have to strip your diapers. Buy some Calgon water softener (NOT White King or others, they work in a different chemical manner)...and add 1/2 c. instead of detergent...do a full cycle...repeat until there are no bubbles. The first time I did this I had to do it 7 times! :mad But anyhoo, it worked and got rid of the build-up. If that still doesn't work, try a splash of bleach. Then use Calgon every few loads to help "maintain"...

HTH!

canadiyank
05-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh, another thing that might help is to prewash on "delicate" as that uses more water...then drain, but don't spin out, if you can do that (I can do that on my machine by pressing cancel twice). That way when you fill up with hot the dipes are already wet and won't soake up all the water...on washers that use less water you'll find the dipes will soak up most of it b/c that's what they're supposed to do, LOL! Keeping them wet counteracts that...

ServantofGod
05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
okay, this is working better...thanks for all the tips. i'm doing 2 heavy duty cycles, the second w/ no detergent. i'm going to strip them come Monday. I'm pretty bothered, though, over all the water use.

:nak

milkmommy
05-13-2005, 01:50 PM
What diapers do you use. I use pockets with microfiber towels well even after I switched to Allens I had no stink then it seemed to come again but I think its because I still had buildup from before, I got tired of wshing the inserts a million times so I just went to SAMS and treated my DD to a new package of inserts 18 for around $9.00 its like I have new diapers again. I've havent noticed any extra bubbles in the finial rinse anymore (it's been a little over a month)

Deanna

LauraK
05-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I just bought some Charlies detergent...http://www.charliesoap.com/

This stuff really gets all the stink out and rinses very very clean, even in hard water and works well in front loaders or HE washers so I am sure would work in yours. I tried it because another mom on here recommended it to me. I bought the powder and it is very economical as well.

Before I bought Charlies I had some stinky pocket dipes and I washed them in the sink with dishsoap and then rinsed until clear and then washed them in the washer. This really helped as well. Perhaps it will help with your covers and lesson how much water you need to use.

I would also read in your washer manual if there is possibly a way you can manually increase the amount of water that gets used in each load?? You probably already tried that.