PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm new and would like to share my story about BW

BornFreeBaby
05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Hello all,

I am a WAHM, and I'd like to tell my story and ask some ?'s
Im apologizing in advance if this gets long...

When I was pregnant with my dd (now 17 mo.) I was given the book Babywise as a gift from my christian co-workers at the chrisitan school I taught at. I was told numerous times that his way was the only sane way to parent and that I would have dd sleeping through the night in 1 month, that CIO is a must in order to not spoil/have a fussy baby...yada yada. My mom was one of those voices as well, so I read it to hubby and studied what I was "suppose" to do. No one told me different, so I assumed that was the mainstream thing to do. The book was VERY convincing at the time, and it gave me rules/steps/schedules, and being an organized and scheduled person myself, it made sense at the time. I had never been raised in an attached environ. I think that my assumption about babies in general is that they were suppose to be laying in their crib playing with their mobile/other toy/ most of the time. I had no idea what a baby was really like.

dd's birth was not an easy one, I was induced early because my ob was going on vacation (next time will be home birth), and my milk didn't come in (even with me pumping ev. 2 hrs) until 1 week later, so she was immediately put on formula her 2nd day. But I wanted to bf very much- but the evil nurses werent helpful when she wouldn't latch and told me that dd was a tongue sucker? and would not get the hang of it. Well, I pumped anyway to give her what I could in bottles.
Immediately I put dd on a feeding schedule -not waking her if she sleeps at night- in her own crib,(per b-wise advice)and it worked, but I began to feel a distance growing btw me and dd. I lost my milk production after 1 mo. because dd slept all night as a newborn..(at first)and had to buy exp. Nutram. formula ($200/mo)

At 5 mos she started to not sleep thru, and I thought that there was something wrong with her -that I had to fix her because of what I had read. I began to let her cry as the book said and it broke my heart. I would cry as she was crying for 1 hour. And after reading the book to hubby, he then didnt permit me to bring her into our bed when my gut was telling me to... somehow its easier for men to cut off their feelings about this?

I felt her losing trust in me, pushing away from me, almost as if she became an angry baby. She was always so independent- crawling at 5 mo, walking at 8.5 mo and running ever since. BUT STILL she wasn't sleeping thru the night at 14mo and waking at 1 and 5 am screaming up to an hour during the night. The cries got worse, and I realized that I was teaching her she had to scream louder and longer. At times she would wake up w/ an immediate ear-piercing scream like she was in pain- so we would come running, but she only wanted to be near us! Finally I said to dh enough is enough- even though she is independent- she NEEDS ME.. I don't care what that stupid book says anymore. I began to pray and ask God to show me the way to parent her.

I asked for advice on another baby website and was introduced to AP- which I had never heard of. I was told I should listen to my gut and give my baby the emotional support/or another feeding that she needed. What a relief! After immediately tending to her needs at night and trying to wear her on my hip when i could during the day- she finally slept through the night.
It was as though she finally got what she needed and could take a sigh of relief. Now I realize that babies arent made to sleep thru and its okay if I don't. Now I know that I will do what my gut tells me from now on and with my next one.

MY QUESTION: Is there anything more I can do to re-attach and make her feel secure at 17 mo? I have a lot of guilt from CIO. My dd doesn't like to be held much in the sling because she is a very active baby and struggles with me, but I do wear her outside. But she loves to be rocked w/bottle before bed or before nap... I take her to bed with me now (I won over dh after reading him Dr. Sears ap book) but she doesn't like to sleep next to me now that she's used to her bed... I feel like I am losing my baby now because of how independent she is and is growing into a toddler so fast!!!

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for any advice!

milkmommy
05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
:hug AP is listening to your childs cues and doing whats best for baby and parent. If shes an active one use it to your advantage take her to a park, put pllows all over the floor and let her climb over them. put on some music and dance together, read to her at night or during the day.Do art projects provide lots of hugs.. Be their for her all these will draw her closer to you AND give her a sense of independence.

Deanna

SingingPraise
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi and welcome :)
I think Deanna said it beautifully. Being an attached parent isn't about a book, a philosophy, any kinds of rules. Its about listening to your childs cues, following your heart and gut and doing whats best for your family.

My son stopped 'letting me' sling him at about 18 months old - thats kinda natural that some babies/toddlers outgrow it and want to walk all the time. You can find times when you can still snuggle tho - it just changes as they grow how we hold them close. (my teenager only lets me snuggle if i promise a back rub. lol. and she won't let me play with her hair anymore unless i beg).

As for cio guilt - just don't beat yourself up.Period. And for current sleeping arrangments, just know that alot of families have different sleeping set-ups- not everyone who is ap enjoys a family bed. We partially cosleep. I have a 4 1/2 and a 21mo. They start out in their own beds with dad on one side and me on the other. We say our prayers and snuggle til they're asleep and then leave the room. When they wake (and they always do) at around 4:30am they both come across the hall and climb into the big bed with us. Works for us. Might not work for you but you'll figure out what does.

I was induced with both my 1st and my 2nd - and had a vba2c with my 3rd babe. I wish I could've homebirthed - I probably should've pushed for it, but dh was so scared by the cesarean and even the midwifery office insisted I birth in hospital and not at the birthing center.

anyway, i'm rambling.

There are some really bright women here who have wonderful stories, great experience and lots and lots of wisdom.
so welcome again - looking forward to getting to know you

MarynMunchkins
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Welcome. :)

My oldest was never much of a cuddler, and I used BW with him. :( We reattached by taking a lot of long walks outside and long baths. Just sitting beside the tub playing with ducks and boats was a big deal for us.

He's almost 6 now, and is a big cuddler. He went from a child who *never* liked to be held to one who fights to sit in my lap. :) You can form an attachment with someone of any age - you just have lost the first few months when they can't get away. :lol

Irene
05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
thanks so much for sharing :hug

The book was VERY convincing at the time, and it gave me rules/steps/schedules, and being an organized and scheduled person myself, it made sense at the time. I had never been raised in an attached environ. I think that my assumption about babies in general is that they were suppose to be laying in their crib playing with their mobile/other toy/ most of the time. I had no idea what a baby was really like.
that was totally me! he really has a way of sucking people in :cry Praise the Lord we are free from it :praise

Katherine
05-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Welcome! Thank you for sharing your story... Praise the Lord for leading you away from that so early in your child's life. :tu

AP sources place a lot of importance on meeting a new baby's needs (and rightly so) but kids don't stop needing things as they get older--their needs just change. Things like dealing gently with tantrums or big feelings, being patient when she's trying to express her wants but can't communicate yet, spending time with her on her level, and simply respecting her needs (which will vary from stage to stage and sometimes even from day to day) are things you can start doing now.

So glad you are here!

heartofjoy
05-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Kindergirl77,

Just wanted to tell you how GREAT I think it is that you've figured this out while your dd is so young! I had never heard of Ezzo, but I was not very attached to my first baby either because of cio. I tried to cosleep, but it never worked. I was a very selfish mom when she was little, and she was a very figety, active, non-cuddly baby. I did not figure out attachment parenting until she was closer to 3. Learning about AP didn't help much though because I became a Christian around the same time and all of a sudden I learned it was Biblical to spank! The poor thing. I am struggling to repair a relationship with a 5 yo.

I agree with what everyone else said. Becoming "attached" isn't so much about physical touch, although that's part of it certainly. It's about taking the time to know your child and respond to him when he needs you. Just make sure that baby knows that you are always there for her. That you love her enough to set and enforce boundaries. That you will play, laugh, and listen to her. That you will cheerfully take care of her basic needs. Children are free to be independent when they are secure in the love and protection of their parents.

A practical tip: Don't force her to be in the sling, sleep next to you, etc. if she doesn't want to. Concentrate on doing things she DOES want to do!

ArmsOfLove
05-11-2005, 05:57 PM
:hug Welcome and thank you for trusting us with your story.

She's a *little* young for them, but maybe not--either way you will eventually be blessed by the ideas in Cohen's "Playful Parenting" and Bailey's "I Love You Rituals" and they will really help with attachment with an older toddler/child :)

katiekind
05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
I want to say thank you for sharing your story. I learn more with each story I read. Other mothers have told me how the Ezzo leaves the impression that if the child strays from the expected schedule or behavior, this is something you have to fix. *Sigh* But I am so glad that you listened to your little girl and put all that behind you (though it can be harder than it sounds to get Ezzo's voice completely out of your head, from what other mothers have told me).

I really loved hearing how you have worked at developing closeness. I think you will find it bears much fruit. :amen You are so ahead of the game to figure this out now, she is still very young. :hug

BornFreeBaby
05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Yay! :D
I am so glad/relieved that I hadn't missed the boat with dd. I have been reading Dr. Sears The Attachment parenting book and it mostly concentrates how to become attached to a newborn, so its nice to know that there are many other ways I can still get attached to my toddler.

OK, here is a confession- last night while dd was sleeping quietly in her crib, I carried her into bed with me to be close to her- well that independent little girl got soooo mad at me! She woke up and looked at me with a horrible look and started crying and kicking at me! So I reluctantly put her back in her crib where she fell asleep again. :cry So I guess I am being ap by listening to her need to sleep in her own bed. dh thinks I'm crazy. He says - if it aint broke don't fix it. I know I know, I am really crazy.

But I am here to learn from you ladies, so thank you for your support!

Thank you so much for your replies!

-Crystal, I am checking out your website and it looks really useful for my situation.

milkmommy
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Teri, My DD sleeps in her own room now also and has been for around a year I still miss her and sometimes sneak a blanket and pillow over to her room and sleep next to her on a mat. :mrgreen Totally understand :shifty

Deanna

heartofjoy
05-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I put my 3 month old baby in a bassinet in our room at about 9pm every night. Then I go to bed about a hour later. She will come to bed with me when I hear her start rooting. Well, for the last few days I have woken up in the morning and she is still sound asleep! I am considering bringing her to bed with me when I go to bed. I can't stand the thought of her sleeping all alone all night!

Most people would look at me like "you're out of your mind!" if I said that. I totally understand the need to be next to our babies! My first one would have screamed and kicked at me too.

greenemama
05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
some babies aren't cuddlers and that's okay! i think you can practice attaching to her in other ways throughout the day. :)

and i know of babies who are teeny tiny and prefer sleeping in their cribs. everyone is wired differently.

and i agree that around 18 months or so many babies aren't interested in the sling anymore -- they want to get down and run amok and that's okay, too! :) my henry is nearly three and he has always been very cuddly but he gave up the sling around 13 months because all he wanted to do was walk and get into stuff.

thanks for sharing your story. :hug

UltraMother
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I carried her into bed with me to be close to her-

Keeping our babies close satisfies OUR needs as mothers too. It reassures us that they are safe.

purplerose
05-14-2005, 10:30 AM
HUGS!!!!!!!!! Don't worry about what you USED to do, just start doingwhat you want to now!!!!!! I never believed in schedules though for babies, I'm more of a routine person, not a scheduler! I too did things with DD that I wish I wouldn't have done and I used to feel guilty about it, but I have changed and adopted more AP/GBD policies into my parenting and she is a very very happy 3yo!!!!! Same with DS, now I am pg with DB#3 and I'm excited to do the things with this baby that I didn't do with my others........slinging, for one. I did bf on demand with my others, but I did CIO :cry :td(especially with DD, not so much with DS as I got mroe informed) and I co-slept with DD for 3 months, then moved her to the crib, with DS I co-slept til he was 10 months and now with baby #3 I'm giong to co-sleep much longer. We do have family nap everyday where we all nap in the same bed. It is just a frame of mind. Don't worry about what others think, do what you feel is comfortable for you and your family! Turn to the Lord for peace and guidance! He will help you!!!!!!!!! And know that we are here for you as well!!!!

BornFreeBaby
05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Don't worry about what others think, do what you feel is comfortable for you and your family! Turn to the Lord for peace and guidance! He will help you!!!!!!!!! And know that we are here for you as well!!!!

Thank you Laura! I believe that the Lord has opened my eyes to a gentler way of parenting :amen and I will continue to seek Him and His guidance.
I am not worried about what anyone says to me about slinging/co-sleeping/etc. (even when my mom makes fun of me for slinging my dd)
I know that i am doing the right thing for my dd.