PDA

View Full Version : Any natural AND pre-natal safe laxatives?

Vipers_Princess
05-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry if TMI, but I've tried all the tricks I know that are relatively safe, like even more water and more wheat and staying away from the dairy products, but nothing's working. :banghead I don't want to do the OTC stuff unless I absolutely have to, which it's starting to seem like it may be.. :( I'm open to any ideas, and am praying for a low cost one, as we've got three dollars keeping our checking account open til payday on thursday...

cannuke
05-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Lentils work for me (sorry if TMI). They're pretty cheap, too. I make lentil soup and it usually works within a day or so. HTH. I feel your misery!

sadie
05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
I took fiber supplements during pregnancy. I don't remember the brand, but they were organic, and I could choose the dosage to use them either as a laxative or just a general fiber dose to stay regular (basically you just take more if you want a laxative).

HTH! :)

cobluegirl
05-10-2005, 04:27 PM
have you tried taking a bunch of vit c? or acidophilus....too much C will give you the runs...and the acidophilus works well for me with the kids....

Vipers_Princess
05-11-2005, 06:23 AM
thanks :) I'll try taking an extra fiber pill and some extra vit C and see if that will get things moving... :)

Soliloquy
05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
ooooh, I know what you're going through . . . I didn't have morning sickness but I had "that" when I was PG!

Here are some things to both help and prevent:

prunes--they're actually pretty good! funny what you learn when you're PG! I took prunes w/ me to the hospital when I was in labor to help with going to the bathroom post-partum, too.
raisin brain cereal
plain yogurt
walking
yoga

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Btw, if you do need to take an OTC, stool softeners aren't absorbed into the bloodstream and won't get to your baby.

Lady TS
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
My doc said it was fine to use Metamucil or a stool softener such as colace, but they don't help as far as the "I really wanna go now" problem.

You know, what really works for me (usually) is a cup of coffee. I don't know whether you are staying away from caffeine or not, but thought maybe that might help. I guess since it's a diuretic, it just gets things moving. :shrug Make sure to drink a cup or two of water after the coffee to help prevent dehydration. :)

Sometimes just having some hot liquid helps(tea, hot soup, etc) but the coffee is my little stand-by this pg.

allisonintx
05-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Whole grain cereal and a long walk.

Aloe juice, Chlorophyll, Fiber (GuarGum is my personal favorite) Spicy foods (but not with loads of cheese...that would be binding) Prunes, Prune Juice

cannuke
05-13-2005, 06:53 AM
You know, what really works for me (usually) is a cup of coffee. I don't know whether you are staying away from caffeine or not, but thought maybe that might help. I guess since it's a diuretic, it just gets things moving. :shrug Make sure to drink a cup or two of water after the coffee to help prevent dehydration. :)
Coffee helps me, too.

Aloe juice, Chlorophyll, Fiber (GuarGum is my personal favorite)
Where can you get these?

allisonintx
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
GNC, Health Food Stores, WalMart (for the fiber)