PDA

View Full Version : Eating fish

memory maker
05-10-2005, 11:08 AM
what kinds of fish do you eat? I have been reading some people saying no fish is safe because if mercury, but I really enjoy fish (especially salmon) I also didnt know what is considered safe when eating fish while pregnant. please give me any info you have

SingingPraise
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I think when pregnant you do have to (and i did) watch your mercury levels - particularly in tuna.
That said..
I LOVE fish.
never used to, but i do now.

Salmon, mahi mahi and trout are probably my favorites. I have enjoyed sole on occasion too. My sister loves snapper.
Grilled with a bit of butter, garlic and wine...some lemon. YUM!!!

I love all shellfish too - crablegs, shrimp and lobster.

Man, now i'm hungry

cobluegirl
05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
We eat Salmon, Halibut and Tuna. I think the key here is to eat wild fish....not farmed fish.

poetmom
05-11-2005, 03:41 AM
We eat salmon, mahi mahi, and orange roughy...we fix it several different ways--or rather, DH does, as cooking fish is his thing...:)

iplsmama
05-11-2005, 06:36 AM
On Oprah the other day, a doc was talking about this. He said safe fish are: salmon, mahi mahi, flounder... Ugh, I can't remember the rest, maybe I can find it on line.

Edited to add: Tilapia and cod. I found it on Oprah.com

2sunshines
05-11-2005, 06:39 AM
If you can find wild salmon, it's GREAT for you.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find wild. Farm raised salmon is full of mercury and it is controverial whether or not the bad (mercury) in the salmon outweights the good in the salmon.

I don't know much about other fish... :shrug

Soliloquy
05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Wild Alaskan salmon is supposedly the safest fish to eat. It's expensive, though, but it's cheaper when you buy it frozen. Wild Oats always has some in their freezer. We can only afford to eat it once a month or so . . . but I really miss having tuna sandwiches! I read such contradictory things about tuna--several sources say that white albacore tuna is safer, while other sources say the light pink tuna is safer. What's a girl to do when she's craving a tuna sandwich while BFing? :hissyfit

ThreeJane
05-16-2005, 10:10 AM
On Oprah the other day, a doc was talking about this. He said safe fish are: salmon, mahi mahi, flounder... Ugh, I can't remember the rest, maybe I can find it on line.

Edited to add: Tilapia and cod. I found it on Oprah.com

I remember reading (hearing?) that most tilapia comes from the Salton Sea, in California. The Salton Sea is one of the most polluted bodies of water on EARTH, thanks to the farming stuff down there. All of the chemicals, fertilizers, bug killers, etc. all flow into the Salton Sea.

YMMV. :)

anitajoye
05-16-2005, 01:49 PM
we eat wild alaska salmon cuz we live here. but you can eat canned wild and its cheaper. i have been to the cannery here and its the same as doing it at home, just fish. i also have some good canned salmon recipes if you are interested, from soups to salads and of course some rockin' salmon patties.

-anitajoye