PDA

View Full Version : Not CD YET

Heather Micaela
05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I would like to CD if we ever get our own washer. (might not bew till kid #3 is concieved and born - but I can dream) So I am researching now. But I want one that is as simple as sposies. What type would this be?

Also is there anyone who uses CD and has to do laundry one a week at the laundromat? Is it even cost effective to do so?

wuzzie
05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I can be cost effective to wash at the laundromat once a week (though I'd recomend twice) BUT you will sacrifice convinience. Ther are All in One type diapers that are the absorbant cloth and waterproof cover in one, which are the easiest option, BUT can be very expensive. Say you change diapers 8 times a day, thats at leats 56 diapers you will need. A good AIO (all in one) will run you about 15 bucks. So 15X56 is 840 bucks right off the bat for your diapers. WOW!!! So then you look for something cheaper like prefolds and covers. They will run about 2 per diaper and 12 per cover. You will need about 10 covers to keep about a week so that's 112 for the diapers and 112 for the covers, 228. Plus a few snappis or sets of pins and you got Lets just say 240. BUT they aren't as easy to use. No big deal really, but not quite as simple as a AIO. It can be made easier by just folding the prefold into thirds, laying it in the cover and velcroing it on, but then you might need more covers because it doesn't keep the poop off the cover as well as if you were pinning it. So there are options. You could also wash them by hand like I do. and then take 'em to the laundro once a week for a good sanitizing. I use this and hang them to dry. http://laundry-alternative.com/washing.html It doesn't get them as clean as your regular washing machine, but does OK until I get to wash 'em.

milkmommy
05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
If you have awasher I highly reccomend wonderoos they will be as easy to use as a disposable once assembled and could last the duration of your diapering years. My DD over 2.5 years around 30lbs and tall she still fits her's (though we use a disposable at night) I have 18 and ussulay wash every two to three days. I've also done the laundry matt thing and 1) I'd wash twice a week diapers just reek if left an entire week. We used prefolds, snuggle ups and diaperaps it worked but DH hardly touched them (except the snuggle ups) and we used disposables a bunch because the contaiment wasn't the best with the prefolds If I had to do it again I would have gotten the super package from Motherease 36 onesize diapers 18 liners and 6 covers that would have lasted about 4 days at 8 diapers a day. Maybe adding a dozen or two prefolds for back ups.

Deanna

canadiyank
05-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Is a diaper service a possiblity for you? I had one at first with dd1 and loved it. :)

Heather Micaela
05-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Is a diaper service a possiblity for you? I had one at first with dd1 and loved it. :)

I heard it still causes a lot of chemicals in washing- is that true?

How does the price compare to sposies?

And can you use AIO with a service?

Something to consider. But I am also making a LOT of changes right now to how we do things. This might put DH in shock. I think DD wants to be potty trained to be like bro, si I may jsut finish w/ sposies then change to CD with kid #3(actually 4) yet to be concieved.

milkmommy
05-12-2005, 12:50 AM
diaper service most do use more "chemicals that with home wash" but their better than they used to be but cost is just about as expensive as using disposables. I know in Tucson they have the option of using All together deluxe AIOs (I like these) .

Deanna

BeckaBlue
05-12-2005, 07:43 AM
I agree, if you would go to wash but once a wk you'd need to handwash inbetween, not only would the diapers reek after a wk, but you could get all sorts of bugs and even MAGGOTS! (i found this out accidentaly last yr :sick2 )

if u didn't handwash inbetween then you'd need to hang the diapers so they would be dried, or they might get mold/mildew

of course there's the option of fitted diapers and jsut a few wool covers! wool doesn't need to be washed like regular diapers, only if they get poo on them (and then they need to be handwashed) and jsut every once in awhile, otherwise you just let them dry out

I think pocket diapers re extremely easy, i jsut stuff them as soon as i'm folding them, that's about all the extra 'work' there is to them, so simple

also just some wrap covers and prefolds, i jsut lay the folded prefold in and that's it! much cheaper too!

canadiyank
05-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, my dipe service was as expensive as sposies, which is why I started doing them myself after I was used to cloth. I think a service is a good intro to dipes and then you wouldn't have to do the laundromat thing. Not sure about the chemicals, but I'm sure there's just as many/more chemicals in the production and use of sposies. We never had rash or anything, if that's what you mean (if you were worried about residual chems..). I loved the service, but it wasn't cheap that's for sure...but it WAS my intro to cloth and extremely convenient. My dh was fine with the prefolds and wraps.

As far as simple as sposies I would say pocket dipes like fuzzibuns. Easy to use and customizable absorbancy. :)