PDA

View Full Version : how do you tie-dye?

poleidopy
05-10-2005, 05:41 AM
I want to tie-dye some CPFs but have no clue how. What kind of dye do I use/not use? Willl the color fade with every wash? HOW do I make designs? Will it hurt the diapers? The baby's skin? Are there special washing instructions for tie-dyed diapers? TIA!!!

SingingPraise
05-10-2005, 08:15 AM
What kind of dye do I use/not use?
You'll want to use fiber reactive dyes. I use procion fiber reactive dyes from www.dharmatrading.com
Some local art supplies might carry Jacquard brand procion dyes. Dylon dye will also work. There are tiedye kits sold at walmart and most local craft stores. Don't use RIT dye.
If you dont' buy a kit you will need synthropol or dish detergent, soda ash fixer, dye, (urea is optional), squirt bottles, rubberbands, a mask and gloves. I dye on plastic bags and paper towels.

Willl the color fade with every wash? If you use procion dyes they'll not bleed or fade.

HOW do I make designs? Well, i'm not giving out trade secrets lol, but there are books available on how to make tiedye designs and many web pages that 'teach' the art of tiedye on the net. Just google for how to tie-dye.
Mostly it involves folding, using rubberbands to 'tie' in place. I use all sorts of things to tiedye my designs - forks,
dowels, clothespins, chop sticks. lol

Will it hurt the diapers? No - you will presoak in soda ash - don't let it soak too long tho. 4-6 hours maximum. Too long exposure in the soda ash fixer WILL hurt anything soaking in it so don't leave it for a week

The baby's skin? Once the items are rinsed, washed and dried the soda ash is gone and the dye is not caustic. In other words, no - just as our dyed clothing doesn't affect our skin, neither will your tiedyed diapers

Are there special washing instructions for tie-dyed diapers? TIA!!!
I generally advise customers to wash their items for the first time in cold water with dark items just in case of bleeding. After that they should be fine.

Good luck. Tiedye isn't rocket science , but it is an art and takes time to figure it out. If you're doing some diapers I'd buy a kit :)

poleidopy
05-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks...are the kits expensive? Why can't I use RIT?

SingingPraise
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
the kits are usually about $15-$20

Rit dye basically SUCKS.
lol
It will not hold a tiedye pattern - its best suited for dyeing one item of clothing one particular color.
It also tends to bleed for at least the first half dozen washes.
And it will fade

Did you ever do tiedye in summer camp? We did. You dyed and within a week the color was almost gone.

Procion is true tiedye :)

Good luck and have fun if you decide to give it a shot. Alot of people find working with the chemicals, mess, time etc to be too much and pay others to tiedye for them. lol. There are some great tiedyeing mamas out there too - I personally do n't do prefolds cuz they're thick to fold so hard to get good designs and they suck up tons of dye. But i know that there are folks out there selling them so they must enjoy it!

krista1966
05-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Just wanted you all to know that SingingPraises does some awesome tye dyes. I have brought some from her. My daughter loves her tyedye silk. That is what we use in the comfort corner. She really likes it alot. Plus she did a bunch of tye dye silks at Easter time for my daughter's teachers and therapists. They were all impressed with them.
take care.
Krista

bostonsmama
05-11-2005, 08:52 AM
thanks krista--we all drool over them here!!! i cant wait to snatch one up. just have to wait to get some extra $$!!!

kawani--i used rit dye on some onesies, shirts, etc. it does bleed pretty bad. it was good to start w/and figure out some ways to fold though, just because its so cheap. i wouldnt do it on dipes, but if you wanted to dye something just for practice, i would recommend it. i am getting ready to order some dye from dharmatc though. after using the rit, i think you will see how much easier it will be with "real" dyes! i havent had too much trouble w/fading though. tiedying is definitely an art...i still cant get the bottom point of my hearts to work?? its a little addictive too ;)

righteous mama
05-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been playing with dye and it's so fun! I'm currently experimenting...like seriously currently. It's sitting in my kitchen while I take a break. I'm hoping to get really good at it and maybe even find a style that is all my own.

CelticJourney
05-14-2005, 06:20 PM
We tie-dyed for the first time last month. I had never done it so we bought a kit. We did two shirts per child and bandanas. It was lots of fun.

joyfulmomof2
06-03-2005, 07:16 PM
i found this stuff at hobby lobby that was water based and non toxic. it is either a spray on or soak and it works pretty well. i have washed the item (a diaper flat) that i died a bunch of times and it looks a little faded but not much. :)