PDA

View Full Version : transitioning to toddler bed

mama2mychildren
05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Can anyone share how they did this? DD turned two in April and our baby is due in August. Ideally I would like to try to get her into the toddler bed before then as I dont want her to associate moving to the bed with the new baby. Baby will room with us for a couple of months but then will be sharing the room with DD. I dont want to pressure her or move too quickly though and am concerned about her staying in bed as she would rather read books, etc. What was your experience? Am I worrying way too much?

SingingPraise
05-09-2005, 03:52 PM
hrm...well, we do things a bit weird, but here goes.

First thing we did with Zoey was moved her from our bed to a full size mattress on the floor in her room. That way I could still nurse her and roll away but got her used to her own room. We did that from the time she was 10months or so til she was 3 and her brother was on the way. She was weaned by then, but daddy or I would lay with her in her bed in her room til she'd fall asleelp and then roll away. She woke up tho usually around 3am and would crawl into bed with us (thats ok with us)

When Roman was born she was used to her routine and comfortable with it as she'd been doing it for years. When we were ready to transition him to their room we added him to the mattress on the floor. We did that from the time he was about 10 or 11months old til he was 18months old.

Then we got them both toddler beds - she was 4, he was 18mos.

They both start out in their beds in their room and usually join us when they wake around 3 or 4am for family bed.

Anyway, my suggestion I guess would be to start transitioning slowly to a big girl bed. A new bed with her favorite character on the bedding. And you might want to sleelp in there with her (or daddy) on the floor next to her bed til she's asleep.

Good luck :)
barb

milkmommy
05-09-2005, 04:10 PM
We lucked out We bought a toddler bed from a resale shop right before we moved here when we got her I set it up in her new room (she'd always shared with us) I told DH well just wait she'll need some time to get used to her surrounding so she'll probably sleep with us for a while still. Yea right DD took one look at her new bed complete with new bedding told us bye pushed us out of her new room crawled under the covers and was out! Shes pretty much been on her own ever sinse. :laughtears
Deanna

2sunshines
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Where is she sleeping now?

Are you asking how to transition her from your bed to a toddler bed in another room or are you asking how to transition her from her crib to her toddler bed?

mama2mychildren
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I should've specified, she sleeps in a crib currently in her own room.

Pediatrician said as long as she's not climbing out she should sleep in it but we will need it for the baby in about 6 months. So I guess thats the "timeframe" i'm working with though of course I would be sensitive to her needing longer if she wasnt ready for that transition and we would just have to figure something else out.

2sunshines
05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Hmmm, I've never done that transition (my kids never slept in a crib) so I'm probably not going to be of much help... :shrug

My only thought would be to maybe put up the toddler bed in her room WITH the crib and for the first while, just have both available and let her choose where she wants to sleep. Maybe get a nice bedding set that she would particularly :heart for the toddler bed to make it appealing. Talk it up as a "big girl bed" but then give her the choice. Maybe she'll take really easy to it, maybe not. :shrug Worth a try though.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I'm sure there are many moms here who have done that transition so hopefully you will get some experienced advice. :)