PDA

View Full Version : Anybody homeschool some of their kids and send some to school?

LoveToReadMommy
05-09-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm just curious how this would affect family dynamics. dh doesn't want me to homeschool dd6yo if we don't start getting along better. I definitely feel homeschooling is something God wants for our family, but we are pretty miserable just to get through a day around here. :cry

She'd be entering first grade in the fall. I don't like the "school" part of school. We were planning on being relaxed identity directed homeschoolers/unschoolers. So school doesn't fit in with our philosophy, but dh says that it's better than us argueing all day long. :cry

Any advice?

Cherish
05-09-2005, 07:11 AM
we're dealing with this in regard to Gracie. She really wants to go to school. Sadly, she is about to enter first grade in homeschool, but because of her age would only be able to start Kindergarten this fall. We just did Kindergarten at home and she's very ready for first grade. We want to homeschool, but like you, DD and I butt heads all the time. DH is awesome at homeschooling her, and I think its because he just understands her leraning style intuitively because it is like his own. so no advice here, but commiseartion and wondering what we should do.

AprilBr
05-09-2005, 08:13 AM
No, but I wished my mom did. My brother and I begged her to homeschool us but she didn't because my sister didn't want to be. She didn't know that you can homeschool some of your children and not all. If at about 10yrs old one or some of our children want to go to school (not a public school though), then that is fine. I don't feel trapped in either homeschooling all of them or sending all of the to a traditional school. Hope that makes sense.

TestifyToLove
05-09-2005, 08:29 AM
At this point, I haven't. But, I'm still not sure that it won't come to that. Dd and I have personality issues to the point that I have considered putting her in school. I just don't think she will thrive in school. So, I've instead worked at getting the conflicts and struggles out of our schooling. But, if it became necessary, I wouldn't put her siblings who were thriving in homeschool into a building school just because of the conflicts she and I have butted heads over.

My mother did this. Last year, she finally gave up fighting with my brother. She put him in a public charter school, with horrible results. This year, she started him in the local Christian school. By Christmas, he was only there half days. And, by February he was back to homeschooling, per his decision. Their current conflict is whether he'll attend the huge mega High School in town next year, or whether he'll homeschool. She's opposed to it, but he and Dad want him there.

Whatever happens with his schooling, the other children are doing terrific in homeschool. So, she continues to homeschool the other 4 children.

Gretchen
05-09-2005, 08:35 AM
My daughter attends a public charter school that contains a lot of former (and current!) homeschoolers. I know several families that homeschool some kids and send others to the school, just depending on the needs of the kids. Seems to work really well for them.

Gretchen